How to update pre-build images in to multiple SOM eMMC ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update pre-build images in to multiple SOM eMMC ?

pnaven03
Contributor I

Hi Team,

Currently we are using imx6ul SOM with yocto build images for product development, I searched in forums and got information that multiple ways like recovery sdcard,usb and netboot etc to update images in to eMMC, all methods are using sdcard and stop uboot and update images using commands. This methods are help for single sdcard to updated single eMMC but my requirements to single sdcard need to update multiple SOM eMMC  modules in single time, For this method reduce flashing time in production, any hardware or test jig is available for flash multiple SOM eMMC in single time, any possible way to update eMMC without carrier board, These all requirements are for production level. development.

Regards,

Nk

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nk,

A good alternative to load images in production would be the manufacturing tool or the newer Universal Update Utility (more information on the link below).

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-344579 

These tools take advantage of the Serial Downloader to boot the board and send commands trough the USB port as to load the required images. However, they still require booting the board.

If you wish to load the eMMC without it being soldered to the complete board, you would need additional tooling to send the required initialization and then write to them. I haven’t seen a similar implementation yet.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

0 Kudos

pnaven03
Contributor I

Dear gusarambula, 

Thank you for the reply.

The first i need to boot from sdcard and stop in uboot prompt and then starts UUU commands for load images in to eMMC ?

In this method only one board can flash single time or we can update multiple boards in single time ?

How this SOM modules flashing in production time like individual flash, insert to carrier board and start functional test but its taking more time in production time ?

Regards,

Nk

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nk,

The Universal Update Utility does not require that you boot the board and manually stop u-boot. It does require that the board enters to the Serial Downloader mode.

There is multiboard support, however, each of the boards would need to enter Serial Downloader mode. You may find more information on the UUU documentation (link below).

https://github.com/NXPmicro/mfgtools/releases/download/uuu_1.2.135/UUU.pdf

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos