How to enable GPS on iMX6 Sabre Platform with Linux L3.14.28?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable GPS on iMX6 Sabre Platform with Linux L3.14.28?

keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Dear All,

Do you know how to enable GPS on iMX6Q Sabre Platform with Linux L3.14.28?

We tried the below steps.

- Setting the UART3 port which connected GPS module (Change the Device tree).

- Setting the GPIO ports which connected GPS_PWREN、GPS_RESET_B ports on GPS module (Change the Device tree).

- Setting the VGEN1 output to supply 1.5V (Change the Device tree).

But, the GPS module output nothing.

(UART3_RXD line cannot operate.)

Best Regards,

Keita

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First, please check with the oscilloscope and make sure that all supply voltages for the GPS module, including the 3.15V VCC voltage on the pin 11, 1.5V V_BCKP voltage on the pin 5 and 3.15V antenna supply voltage on the RF connector are in place. Then, during initial power-up, cycle (assert and then de-assert back) the GPS_RESET_B signal for at least 1s.

I've not been able to start the GPS module on my i.MX6Q SABRE SD board so far, but on the i.MX53 SABRE SD board, that uses the same AH-1613 GPS module, I noticed that the module waits for some input from the host, possibly, to synchronize its UART port speed to the host UART port speed. On the i.MX53 SABRE SD board, the host sends the 0xAA 0x6A sequence of bytes, and only after that the GPS module starts sending some data. Please try it. Then, the host continuously sends the data to the GPS module, mostly, the all zero bytes. By the way, the host communicates to the GPS module at 115200bps speed on the i.MX53 SABRE SD board.

Regarding the custom configuration input to the AH-1613 module, its Data Sheet document (see attached) suggests to refer to the documentation of the Atheros AR1520A GPS chip, which the module is based on. However, the links below are the only things on this matter I've been able to find in public access so far:

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/357b6622482fb4daa58d4b26.html

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/764212fdf705cc1755270990.html

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Dear Artur,

Thank you for your reply.

My customer confirmed the below things.

But, the GPS module didn't output any data.

---------

-Make sure that all supply voltages for the GPS module

V_BCKP (Pin5) : 1.5 [V]

VCC (Pin11) : 3.1 [V]

GPS Antenna (RFIN Pin1) : 3.1 [V]

- During initial power-up, cycle (assert and then de-assert back) the GPS_RESET_B signal for at least 1s.

- Set the Baud rate to 115200[bps]

- Send the "0xAA 0x6A" during the initial communication.

----------

Could you confirm the GPS operation on the MCIMX6Q-SDP with Linux 3.14.28?

(It's not harry.)

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos

Embedding
Contributor II

Are you able receive GPS data. Please can one can post the proper procedure to validate the GPS applicaiton in Linux.

0 Kudos

keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Dear Dooty,

Sorry. We were not able to receive the GPS data.

And, my customer had given up investigation.

If you can receive GPS data on SABRE-board with Linux, let me know.

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos

Embedding
Contributor II

Hi Keita,

So far no progress. Freescale saying only Android can validate GPS  which involves some firmware access in HAL layer. In Linux we can't do that procedure so it is not possible itseems. So currently we trying to boot android in sabresd board and verifying whether GPS is working.

Regards,

Dooty.

0 Kudos

keitanagashima
Senior Contributor I

Dear Dooty,

Hello. Thank you for your information.

>Freescale saying only Android can validate GPS  which involves some firmware access in HAL layer.

>In Linux we can't do that procedure so it is not possible itseems.

OK. I got it.

Best Regards,

Keita

0 Kudos

almarto
Contributor IV

I have also great interest to have some guideline to run a GPS application with Linux 3.14.28 on Sabre SD platform. Could you please provide some instructions? Thank you in advance

0 Kudos