How to configure u-boot Variables directly from the "config file"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure u-boot Variables directly from the "config file"

MartinRomero
Contributor I

Hi everyone! I've got a doubt with u-boot. One month ago i bought a china tablet which has come with Android SO, and it has got a i.mx51 microcontroler. So i would like install ubuntu in her sd. So i followed all the steps from the freescale site for install of ubuntu for this platform. But i have a problem with u-boot's configuration due to that the tablet doesn't have a serial COM port, so how can i do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

Martín Romero

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Rooney
Contributor III

Hello Martin!

You may try to use the following patch I created (see the attachement). You can apply the patch only to U-Boot 2009.08 + Freescale patches. See archives u-boot-2009.08.tar.bz2 and u-boot-v2009.08-imx_11.09.01.tar.bz2 in BSP L2.6.35_11.09.01_ER_source.tar.gz.

Do the following steps to create the bootloader:

tar -xjf u-boot-2009.08.tar.bz

tar -xjf u-boot-v2009.08-imx_11.09.01.tar.bz2 -C u-boot-2009.08

cd u-boot-2009.08 ./patches/patch-uboot.sh

patch -p0 < u-boot_env_imx53sqb.patch

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- mx53_loco_config

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

You may use a different arm toolchain. If you use LTIB you my first export the path to your compiler by ''export PATH=$PATH:/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/". Only valid for mentioned BSP version!! If you enter arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc or arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc in a shell, than the output must be "no input files", otherwise the compiler is not found.

Replace arm-linux-gnueabi- by arm-none-linux-gnueabi-.

Of course you will need to adopt the patch for your needs. You may copy the necessary line directly into the file <U-BOOT>/include/configs/mx53_loco.h. Just search for CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS. It is ABSOLUTELY important to define CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED, otherwise the variables are not compiled into the binary!!!

The current patch will load the kernel via TFTP and the filesystem via NFS. So those two features must be correctly configured on your host machine.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Just one notice... I've to confess, I don't know exactly if the patch is 100% working, I'm using a bootscript so I don't need to recompile U-Boot everytime I change the environment variables. My bootscript is slightly different.

Moreover, this patch is working for i.MX53, but can easely adopted to be used with the i.MX51 --> only difference should be the header file.

Regards,

Rooney

0 Kudos