Do we need to control impedance of CAN BUS ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need to control impedance of CAN BUS ?

peteramond
Contributor V

gary_bisson

Hi All,

My hardware design is most similar to nitrogen6_max development board and I have included CAN BUS port to my custom design which is similar to Sabre Lite board (CAN BUS). 

In my memory layout I controlled impedance as 100 Ohms for differential pair and 50 Ohms for single ended signals.

I can see in Sabre lite schematic design CAN BUS is not differential pair. Is that correct ? Don't we need to control impedance of the CAN BUS traces ? If yes what is the impedance value ?

Regards,

Kulunu.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The standard specifies a two-wire differential bus;  the characteristic line impedance is 120 Ohm.

The i.MX6 Design recommendations about 100 Ohms for differential pair is quite reasonable for FlexCAN

too.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos