Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance Testing for PCIe, SATA, USB

Jump to solution
hermann_ruckerb
Contributor III

Hello,

searching for Compliance test in the community did not result in any interesting hit, so maybe can give me a hint.

Normally i'm doing signal integrity design and consulting on x86 Hardware. Here the EcoSystem for Compliance testing is well established with software and hardware tools.

But on ARM Based products I have not found any reasonable information how to do Compliance testing.

E. g. the Tools from USB.org to trigger an USB controller to drive the compliance pattern is only available for WinXP and Win7

Triggering the SATA controller with a J-BERT as the SATA specification would define to set the Controller in BIST-L or BIST-T mode does not trigger any action on QMX bsed board.

a similar situation is given for PCIe.

The RX test are even somehow difficult on x86, but for ARM I have not found any hint how to do this.

Does anybody has experience on Physical compliance testing for PCIe, SATa, USB, Ethernet on ARM based products.

A similar situation is on the Memory testing.

on x86 based hardware there is a lot of software out that can be used. Most of the programms do just detect that there is a memory attached, but is not usefull for real debugging or a good memory test. But some programms are quite effective in detecting errors.

On ARM I only know the UBOOT mtest and the freeware mtester. Both I do not consider as a reasonable test for detecting errors or do failure analyis.

Does anybody have better information on Memroy testing ?

I'm just trying to esteblish a product for memory testing, but if there is already something out i would prefer to use this one. ..

Best regards

Hermann

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lily_zhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello, Hermann:

You can treat i.MX6 as USB device. PC as host. So PC host can run in Windows.

PC host tool will communicate with i.MX6.

If you have SR number information, please let me know.

Best Regards

Lily Zhang

Freescale MPU Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lily_zhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

These compliance tests are also available for ARM products even if the test tools are running on Windows. You can find relative test information from web sites.

Take USB as the example, i.MX passed USB certification tests. You can contact your support windows to get relative test reports.

Procedure Version

Tools(USBET, USBCV)

http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

Updates

http://compliance.usb.org

High Speed Device Electrical

http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/

Low/Full Speed Test Procedure

http://www.usb.org/developers/USB-IFTestProc_1_3.pdf

For memory test tool, if you are using Linux, you can use bonnie++ etc.

0 Kudos
hermann_ruckerb
Contributor III

Hello Xiaoli,

thanks for your answer!!

I do have some feedback to you comments:

1) I asked for the compliance test reports through our FAE (where we do get good Support!!). But so far it seems this question slipped through the freescale support, as it was not even commented.

2) the tools I find on on www.usb.org/developers/tools are windows based. Maybe I'm just missing anything .. can you point me to the tool I can use on QMX6 ?

3) on the update page you mentioned the latest link I find to electrical tests gives the updated of USBET20, version 1.13 published and states:

"USBET20, version 1.13, is the only official electrical analysis tool of the USB-IF"

But this is a Windows based tool. Again I do have no idea how to use this on QMX6.

Sorry, I'm quite experienced in compliance testing on Windows based systems, and most of the test I'm doing are without any OS requirement (e. g. by triggering Testmodes via J-BERT), but for USB2 I have so far only found the option to trigger the testpattern via the windows based utils on the developer/tools page.

4) www.usb.org/developers/compliance

Thats what I'm doing every day ...

5) http://www.usb.org/developers/USB-IFTestProc_1_3.pdf

Ressource not found ==> this document seemed to be moved. But I have the Agilent MOI, and also all the compliance test descriptions from USB.org.

But all just explaining how to do the teest, but rely that the test_packet is sent already.

6) Bonnie++ seems to be a benchmark and not a memory test.

Testing under a full linux (e. g. memtester version 4) is skipping already quite a big amount of memory as this is used by the system. is OK for interface tests, but if somebody wants to test the Array of the DRAMs this is not acceptable.

Thats the reason, why good memory tests on x86 does use some special or reduced OS.

7) For SATA e. g. there is quite some description in the datasheet .. but so far the QMX6 is not reacting on the stimulation via J-BERT on the RX pins.

8) on PCIe 2.0 x86 based systems drive a testpattern as soon they see a termination. So far I have not seen this on QMX6.

It seems to be so easy .. but nobody could really tell me how to do it  :-(

Best regards

Hermann

0 Kudos
lily_zhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello, Hermann:

You can treat i.MX6 as USB device. PC as host. So PC host can run in Windows.

PC host tool will communicate with i.MX6.

If you have SR number information, please let me know.

Best Regards

Lily Zhang

Freescale MPU Support

0 Kudos
hermann_ruckerb
Contributor III

This was a good one! I did not think about this option so far!

Hermann

0 Kudos
hermann_ruckerb
Contributor III

Hello,

just to give an update .. in the meantime it seems possible to get the compliance tests done .. nevertheless it is still a big problem that there is no real support from freescale available.

I think this is an area where the eco-system of the ARM is haveing quite a bit room for improvement ..

Hermann