cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't load Kernel

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

Hi,

I've been trying many times to have my iMX53 START BOARD run under my custom kernel. If I use Kernel that is supplied in the "Images" file downloaded from freescale, the card boots ok.

But whenever I use my custom Kernel, which was built with some drivers that I require (FTDI Serial mainly), it can't be loaded. This is the error message:

MMC read: dev # 0, block # 2048, count 6144 ... 6144 blocks read: OK              
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...                               
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.35.3-1129-g691c08a                                     
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)                            
   Data Size:    3218068 Bytes =  3.1 MB                                          
   Load Address: 70008000                                                         
   Entry Point:  70008000                                                         
   Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC                                            
ERROR: can't get kernel image!                                                    
MX53-LOCO U-Boot >

The Kernel image i got it from <ltb directory>/rootfs/boot/uImage after BUILT SUCCEDED appeared. Also i chose the board (imx53-loco) when configuring ltib

To copy to SD card used command:

sudo dd if=uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2048 && sync && sync

Has someone any suggestion regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to boot the kernel now. I was assigning 10,240 space for uboot and kernel, but the error was that I had to assign also in the "loadk" variable a little more. Instead of 0x1800, for a 3M Kernel I had to increase it

3218068 Bytes =  3.1 MB  

0x1892 was the value I used for that extra 0.1MB and that was the thing. After modifying the value, the kernel was able to boot.

thanks to all!

0 Kudos

liqi-c
Contributor II

So where are you modified ? in which file and which variable ? thinks 

i meet the same problem , but not the crc bad . when my kernel is bigger then 6.7M ,i can't start kernel . no any messages ,it's just reset and reset again 

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you, please, share your uImage size and your u-boot variables?

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi,

Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC

Is a case of placing the image at a particular address in the SD_Card after placing the bootloader.

1. Instead of 8192 use 16384 or more and see.

2. Make sure you build your linux_kernel with make ARCH=arm

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos