Buildroot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buildroot

JoseOchoa
Contributor I
Has anyone used buildroot for i.mx53?  I plan on trying it out for learning purposes, first on this board and then for a separate ARM board which was used for an embedded Linux class I took about a year ago.
0 Kudos
2 Replies

dhlii
Contributor I

Yes/no.

I am building for an i.mx53 QSB. I am not using buildroot to build the kernel or u-boot. Though I probably could.

I am using it to build the toolchain and the rootfs - though I typically do a fair amount of post build customization of buildroot rootfs's as I do not like their initialization scheme and revert to a more traditional one with start/stop scripts in /etc/init.d and links in /etc/rcS.d for those that are enabled.

All the typical buildroot (and pretty much every build environment) caveats apply.

Don't run buildroot as root, don't build it from /usr/src, frequently some choices of libraries gcc versions, cpu's .... are incompatible. As an example I beleive some versions of gcc 4.6 will not build some libraries.

Overall i like buildroot better than LTIB, but nothing is perfect.

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can use this post as a starting point: http://boundarydevices.com/blogs/using-buildroot-on-nitrogen

Nitrogen board is a MX51 based hardware from Boundary Devices.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos