Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic tutorial needed

Jump to solution
farworld
Contributor I

Hello,

Firstly, my furthest experience with single board computers is the raspberry pi, so apologies if this is a simple question.

Onto the question, I've a Sabre Lite, fresh out of the package, and I've no idea how to remove the useless demo from timesys and put a linux distro on it. I'm curently using a Win7 machine.

How do I go about doing that?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi Luke,

Sorry for not matching your expectations... There are a variety of those, too.

In general, yes. All of the image we generate can be copied to SD card and will boot.

Because many images require Linux filesystems and many users only have Windows PCs, we often distribute images as ".img.gz" packages that include a partition table and one or more partitions. These can be restored using zcat and dd under Linux or Alex Page's USB Image tool for Windows.

Other times (usually when there's only a single partition), we distribute normal '.tar.gz' packages, and you'll need to use fdisk or gparted to create a single partition (partition 1), and format as ext2/3/4.

The Ubuntu Raring image I pointed you at is in the .img.gz form and instructions for restoring the image are in the blog post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi Luke,

Well, the "useless Timesys demo", is a Linux distribution, but apparently not one that you like...

We support a lot of different userspaces, as discussed in this post:

http://boundarydevices.com/wheres-the-bsp

We also have a lot of binary userspaces on-line. You can get a partial list here:

http://boundarydevices.com/imx6-builds/

Note that because we ship Freescale content in those images (GPU, VPU acceleration), we do require that

you register with the site, log in, and accept a click-through EULA.

I'm sort of guessing that what you're looking for is a Desktop-type distribution, and the latest image is described in this post:

http://boundarydevices.com/rapping-raring/

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
farworld
Contributor I

Eric,

firstly, apologies, but the demo does nothing but showcase timesys, not something I was expecting nor wanting when we booted this board up for the first time.

However, once I download then, what next? How do I get it to run? Is it as simple as putting the image on the SD card and running it?

0 Kudos
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi Luke,

Sorry for not matching your expectations... There are a variety of those, too.

In general, yes. All of the image we generate can be copied to SD card and will boot.

Because many images require Linux filesystems and many users only have Windows PCs, we often distribute images as ".img.gz" packages that include a partition table and one or more partitions. These can be restored using zcat and dd under Linux or Alex Page's USB Image tool for Windows.

Other times (usually when there's only a single partition), we distribute normal '.tar.gz' packages, and you'll need to use fdisk or gparted to create a single partition (partition 1), and format as ext2/3/4.

The Ubuntu Raring image I pointed you at is in the .img.gz form and instructions for restoring the image are in the blog post.

0 Kudos
saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi

You can find document from following link.

i.MX6Q: i.MX 6Quad Family of Applications Processors

farworld
Contributor I

Sorry, but I'v already gone through those resources, its all Greek to me.

0 Kudos