cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 WebView bad performance

kurkinalexandr
Contributor III

Hello.

We are using custom board with compulab cm-fx6 module(imx6q) and Android 4.3 bsp.

Our application for this board is using WebView component with HERE maps inside. When we have a log of points on the map(514) amination(moving, scrolling) works very slow.

So I wonder if Freescale made any optimization(h/w acceleration) for WebKit(as I understand WebView uses WebKit for rendering in background) for Android 4.3. 

Some additional information:

I read this:

Android Graphic UI with GPU Hardware Acceleration 

And I checked:

1) USE_OPENGL_RENDERER  set as true in my Android build system

2) In our application manifest android:hardwareAccelerated="true"

3) In android developer settings I set FORCE_GPU_RENDERING

I also checked that GPU is busy only on 30% maximum when our apk run(gpuinfo.sh), CPU busy on 40% maximum(busybox top).

From my understanding that means that CPU, GPU have resources to draw WebView better but for some reason optimization is quite poor. 

Could you please give me understanding of the problem. Did Freescale  make  any optimization for Android 4.3 WebKit. May be this optimization there is in Anrdoid 8 WebView component. Or may be there is paid version of Android 4.3 WebKit from freescale?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Fan

this is very old android version not more supported by nxp, recommendation is to try with

NXP Professional Services|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kurkinalexandr
Contributor III

hi Igor.

I have tested our apk using Freescale Android8 release. And performance of WebView component is still poor.

Animation of Here maps inside our WebView component works very slow.

Could you please help us with this question?

0 Kudos