GPU Help

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Help

ogj
Contributor IV

I am using an iMX6Q in a bare metal application (there actually is an OS, but not Linux). I would like to use the GC320 and GC355 to drive the graphics (just 2D). I'm new to the GPU world so please bare with me. From what I have read in various posts, G2D is used with the GC320 and OpenVG is used with the GC355. Both of these feed into EGL. Apparently EGL usually feeds into the Linux frame buffer which of course don't have. I could create a psuedo-fb API, but I don't know what API calls EGL (or anything else) needs. I know that there are proprietary libraries for the GC320 and GC355 GPUs. Is it possible to use these libraries in a non-Linux environment? In looking at various posts in the community, it appears that others have been successful in a similar setup. Among other things I don't know is where to get to get the libraries and how to interface to them. Any help out there would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

ogj
Contributor IV

After doing some research, g2d is all I need to use. My feeling is that using any of the graphics libraries as supplied is almost impossible. The g2d library I found is libg2d.so which is a dynamic library - our system is not set up to use these types of libraries. What I need is the library in a .a or .lib ( ELF) format. Can I get it in that format?

0 Kudos

ogj
Contributor IV

After thinking about this some more, I could use the .so library if

- I know what the entry points are for each function

- It can be loaded anywhere in memory (position independent code)

- doesn't depend on any other functions outside of the library (I know that it needs access to the memory

allocator which is OK)

Anyone know where to get the function entry points for libg2d.so?

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello ogj,

The GPU are binaries so you can use with custom OS too, the Graphics manual installed on your yocto documentation is in general for graphics, we don´t have a any document for custom OS, or API. 

Regards

0 Kudos

ogj
Contributor IV

Looking for anyone who has gone down the path of using the Vivante libraries outside of Linux? I understand that Mesa has some stuff. I just need simple 2D operations such as line drawing, text, and bitblit - anyone out there do this??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

ogj
Contributor IV

I'm still trying to understand the code flow for using G2D, EGL and OpenVG. First G2D. Does G2D depend on the Linux framebuffer to work? This begs the question, where are the sources for both framebuffer and G2D? I'm under the impression that G2D was created by Freescale/NXP - is this correct? I cannot find any source for it. If it was created by Vivante, where is the library? Also, in looking through the Linux source code, there is no complete fb.c file. I did find a virtfb, but I think there's more. As I mentioned, I'm new to this and could use some help getting started.

0 Kudos