Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZigBee Custom Clusters with KW41Z

Jump to solution
alejandrovelez
Contributor III

Hello,

I'm starting with ZigBee with MKW41Z microcontrollers and I got different sensors and the idea is to send the data from these sensors to a ZigBee Gateway. So I wonder if there is a generic cluster that I can use to write and read atribbutes or I need to create my own clusters with a set of attributes and commands and change the gateway firmware every time I add a new type of sensor? Is there documentation that can help me to achieve my purpose and where I can get examples, guides or Application notes that I can use? I've already done de SDK examples in MCUXpresso for the FRDM-KW41Z

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alejandro,

Could you please take a look at Appendix E of the ZigBee Cluster Library (For ZigBee 3.0) document here?

It covers some information about adding custom attributes and commands to existing clusters. It can help give you an idea of how a custom cluster implementation can be done.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Best regards,

Sebastian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alejandro, I hope you're doing  well!

Depending on which types of sensor you want to implement, there are some generic sensor clusters available in the ZigBee Cluster library that can be used. For example, there are clusters for temperature, pressure, occupancy, etc.

Otherwise, if the existing clusters don't satisfy the requirements for the type of sensor you're using, you could try implementing a custom cluster.

You can read more information about existing clusters, and these generic sensor clusters in the ZigBee Cluster Library document available from ZigBee alliance, here.

Also, here are some guides about adding endpoints and clusters to a ZigBee project that could be useful.

Best regards,

Sebastian

alejandrovelez
Contributor III

Hello nxf53124

Thanks a lot for your answer and your time. I have a little more specific sensors, like air quality, smoke and gases detection, TVOC and so on...

I've already read that documentation and those guides, and it helped me with the generic sensor very well, but I need a little more to implement that other sensors in different nodes of the network that reports those values to a gateway and then send it to the cloud services. So the information that I need the most is how to do this properly says by creating custom clusters and how to implement it, adding it's respective attributes and commands, if this could be done easily, or know the best way to achive it.

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alejandro,

Could you please take a look at Appendix E of the ZigBee Cluster Library (For ZigBee 3.0) document here?

It covers some information about adding custom attributes and commands to existing clusters. It can help give you an idea of how a custom cluster implementation can be done.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos