cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1 + USB-KW38

SHotmar
Contributor I

Hello,

could you please check and confirm that USB-KW38 BLE sniffing works using current program versions?

• Win 10 Pro - version 2004
  • Virtual Com Port (COM3) installed
  • USB-KW-38 + k22f_bl_07132016.bin
  • Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1
  • tap-windows-9.24.2-I601-Win10
  • WinPcap 4.1.3
  • USBPcap 1.5.4.0
  • Wireshark-win64-3.4.7

Kinetis Protocol Analyzer shown no BLE interface available.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I test the 2.0.4.1. It works fine. Do you close the firewall?

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 days after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

The firewall has no impact.

KPAA shows in Settings> Default Virtual interface: Virtual Interface Off. And it is the only choice. 

I feel the C:\NXP\Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1\USB-KW Dongle Drivers\fsl_ucwnt.inf driver is not compatible with KPAA. KPAA can't find any virtual interface.

Could you please link me your driver?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

Is there any way to check what's loaded inside USB-KW38?

I even flashed the whole device with following bin files according to your manual. 

• usb-kw38z-OpenSDA.bin
  • sniffer_usbkw38_kw37z.bin
  • sniffer_usbkw38_k22f_0x8000.bin

And KPAA still tells me no sniffer detected:

C:\NXP\Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1>KPAA_Cli.exe start -c COM3 -b all -i "Ethernet3"
Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter version 2.0.4.1
Copyright (c) 2021 NXP. All rights reserved.
Autodetecting sniffers...
Please wait, this may take a while.
Error: No sniffer was detected.
Type exit to close the console app...

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How do you update the firmware? Do you hold the reset button, and then plug in? Does the disk show something like 'daplinkboot'? Then drag the 'sniffer_usbkw38_k22f_0x8000.bin' into it.

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

I do it according to your manual: Getting Started with the USB-KW38 > 2.4 Programming USB-KW38 as Sniffer > USING BOOTLOADER MODE QSG - https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/getting-started-with-the-usb-kw38:GS-USB-KW38#title1.1

So, I do:

1. get to DAPLINKBOOT
  2. put usb-kw38z-OpenSDA.bin to DAPLINKBOOT, unplug and plug
  3. put sniffer_usbkw38_kw37z.bin to USB-KW37Z, unplug
  4. get to DAPLINKBOOT
  5. put sniffer_usbkw38_k22f_0x8000.bin to DAPLINKBOOT, unplug and plug
  6. ... and sniffer should be programmed and running...

Is it right?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right. So the KPPA still can't recognize the sniffer? How many usb-kw38 do you have? Do all of them bad? 

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

I have only one USB-KW38 right now. What can go wrong if I am able to program a device?

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You only have one device. So we can't find out which is the reason, the device or the software.

And if you want to sniffer the ble packet, you need three usb-kw to detect three avd channel separately.

Now, You can download the other ble program like 'w_uart' for usb-kw to check if the ble can work well.

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

I've just tested the second USB-KW38. It behaves exactly the same as the first one. No sniffer detected in Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1.

Both my USB-KW38 are REV A1. Date Code: 9D2015 Registration date: 02.06.2021 and 21.07.2021.

So, there is a great probability the hardware is working properly. It has to be a software issue. 

Could you please provide me older version of  Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter. Thank you.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Did you try the software on other's PC? I do not find the old version. The attachment is not the install package. It copied from my computer. Put it in directory 'c:/nxp'. 

0 Kudos

SHotmar
Contributor I

Heureka. Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.2.1 works with USB-KW38 in latest Windows 10.

I had to use Wireshark 3.2.16 (older version) too because Wireshark 3.4.8 contains wrong btle_ex.dll compiled for Wireshark 3.2.x only. 

So, I have to inform you that something is wrong with Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 2.0.4.1 and it doesn't find USB-KW38 in Windows 10.

Thank you for the older version.

0 Kudos