Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VF3xx segmented LCD controller pinout

Jump to solution
michalbrzezinsk
Contributor I

Hello,

I'd like to ask what is the pinout of segmented LCD controller used in Vybrid3? Reference manual refers to lcd ports only as LCD0 - LCD43 with no mention of the backplanes pin and frontplane pins. When I've looked up other Freescale processor using the same LCD controller ID it used clear names for FP and BP pins. Without this it would be really hard to guess the correct pinout for LCD.

Could anyone point me to the correct pinout?

Best regards,

Michał

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michal,

in default

• 40 FP and 4 BP (depends on package)
  • BP0-3 are located at LCD40-43
  • FP0-39 are located at LCD0-39

BP Adding and shifting

• BP can be added using LCDBPA up to 8 (FP are reduced in same number)
  • BP can be shifted using LCDBPS in 8 pins steps
  • All in table 56-22 Backplane Remapping - compiled in attached spreadsheet

/Jiri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michal,

still waiting for designers. Yes LCD is present on VF5 and VF6 and yes on VF3xx (176LQFP package) couple of pins are missing: LCD5, LCD6, LCD13, LCD14. On VF5 and VF6 is DCUs usage expected - but pins are mostly shared with LCD. Do you have any deadline to get the information?

/Jiri

0 Kudos
michalbrzezinsk
Contributor I

Hi Jiri,

Thank you for your clarification. We need information about BP and FP in 2 weeks time. This is the dealdine for the PCB.

I'm looking forward for your answer.

Best regards,

Michał

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michal,

in default

• 40 FP and 4 BP (depends on package)
  • BP0-3 are located at LCD40-43
  • FP0-39 are located at LCD0-39

BP Adding and shifting

• BP can be added using LCDBPA up to 8 (FP are reduced in same number)
  • BP can be shifted using LCDBPS in 8 pins steps
  • All in table 56-22 Backplane Remapping - compiled in attached spreadsheet

/Jiri

0 Kudos
hmijail
Contributor II

In case this helps others: I couldn't see in the given Excel tables (nor of course in the Vybrid Ref. Manual) any indication about how to get to the substituted frontplane pins when LCDBPS != 0. The LCD controller only contains LCDRAM for up to 39 frontplanes, so one can't just access pins 40 to 43 in the standard way when they are supposed to work as frontplane pins.

Well, so turns out that for example in my case of LCDBPS = 3, LCDBPA = 2 (in which pins LCD20 to LCD27 are driven by backplanes 0 to 7), frontplanes 20 to 23 drive pins LCD40 to LCD43. These frontplanes have to be enabled as any other frontpanel, on registers LCDENFPRx.

(Update: I am not totally sure that it is "so simple". I am seeing some strange pin swapping, and I am not sure if it is on the Vybrid side or in the glass side. I had to find the real connections by trial and error)

0 Kudos
michalbrzezinsk
Contributor I

Hi Jiri,

Thank you for your answer. It perfectly covers every question I had.

Best regards,

Michał

0 Kudos
jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Michal,

default configuration is 40x4. Front planes are set in LCD_ENFPR. Backplanes can be relocated using LCDBPS and LCDBPA. But yes, there is no information on which pads LCD0-43 are FP0-39 and BP0-3. I asked designer already. Stand by.

/Jiri

0 Kudos
michalbrzezinsk
Contributor I

Hello Jiri,

Is 40x4 configuration even possible on VF3xx? LQFP packaging does not have PTE5, PTE6, PTE13 and PTE14 pins and they are used as LCD5, LCD6, LCD13 and LCD14 respectively. This leaves only 40 LCD pins for LQFP packaging.

That brings me to my second question. Is segmented LCD controller present on VF5xx and VF6xx? Manuals and data sheets are quiet on this matter. Only indication I have is the fact that LCD5, LCD6, LCD13 and LCD14 pins are present only in the BGA packaging which is not available for VF3xx.

I'm looking forward for the information about FP and BP positioning in package.

Best regards,

Michał

0 Kudos