cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR3 Address Command Routing

Jump to solution
athershehzad
Contributor III

Sir I am designing a custom board using T1042 and I am using on board DDR3 SDRAMs. While routing DDR3 signals, I am following this document "AN3940-Hardware and Layout Consideration For DDR3".. I am a little bit confused in point 31 in this document i.e.

Ensure fly-by topology is used for address/command/control and clock groups. The routing in fly-by topology
should go from chip 0 to chip
n and can be in the order that is most convenient for the board design. The
fly-by topology routing of address/command/ control and clock groups must end at the termination resistors
that are after chip
n.
Choose one of the following options to select the impedances and spacings for the DDR3
address/command/control group.
Option #1 (wider traces—lower trace impedance)
• Single-ended impedance = 40
Ω. The lower impedance allows traces to be slightly closer with less
cross-talk.
• Utilize wider traces if stackup allows (7–8 mils)
• Spacing to other like signals = 1.5x to 2.0x
• Spacing to all other non-DDR signals = 3–4x
Option #2 (smaller traces—higher trace impedance)
• Single-ended impedance = 50
Ω.
• Smaller trace widths (5–6 mils) can be used.
• Spacing between like signals should increase to 3x (for 5 mils) or 2.5x (for 6 mils) respectively
• Spacing to all other non-DDR signals = 3–4x with regards to tuning
• Tune signals to +/-10 mils of the clock at each device

In the second option it states that tune signals to +-10 mils of the clock at each device however in the first option it did not say it.

My question is why is it necessary for the signals routed at 50 ohm impedance to length matched and this is not a requirement for 40 ohm impedance signals ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

"Tune signals to +/-10 mils of the clock at each device" applies to both options.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
athershehzad
Contributor III

Thanks for your prompt reply.

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

"Tune signals to +/-10 mils of the clock at each device" applies to both options.

athershehzad
Contributor III

Sir as you had confirmed that i must follow this rule so I have to add lengths to my address command signals to tune them. I am using discrete RAMs in my design and after adding lengths to the signals, they will become greater than 7 inch in length that will violate rule # 23 that states :

Ensure the max lead-in trace length for data/address/command signals are no longer than 7 inches

Can you tell what rule should be given priority ?

Can you explain the term lead-in trace length ?

Regards

Ather

0 Kudos