ZStar Project help needed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZStar Project help needed

seedpress
Contributor II
I'm trying to develop a new product utilizing the ZStar wireless 3-axis accelerometer as a component. I love the device, but I'm primarily a hardware guy. So, to simplfy some of the programming necessary, I'm using Visual Basic 2005 in the Net 2.0 framework. So far I've had good sucess except that I'm having random read exceptions being thrown at me. It may be that it will only happen during debug--I haven't compiled/published the code yet. If I can't resolve the problem soon, I may post my code and problem in more detail here.

For now, though, I have a few suggestions for the community of ZStar users and for Freescale:
1. The Demo software works fine, but how about open sourcing the code, fully commented? Afterall, isn't Freescale more about the hardware than about selling little demo software.
2. How about a forum for sensor users? I stuck my post in here because I found a few other ZStar posts in here, but it seems a bit out-of-place.
3. How about supplying/developing some Linux drivers for the ZStar Demo? Hate to be stuck with MicroS--!

Okay, that's all for now.

Hoping for some feedback--!
Seedpress
0 Kudos
6 Replies

seedpress
Contributor II
Put me down as one who would be interested in seeing an open source solution being made avaiable. Also, how soon will ZSTAR Demo 2 be available?
0 Kudos

Gargy
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi, this source will be available soon , now we have done first released tests. And one news is that ZSTAR2 demo was renamed to ZSTAR3 demo.

Have a nice day
Gargy
0 Kudos

seedpress
Contributor II
Gargy,

Glad to hear of the upcoming releases.

Please post a link to the files here when they're ready for release.  It's hard to find even the old files on the Freescale site.

Looking forward to seeing ZStar Demo3, and the source files.

Keep up the good work!

We've gotten our small project working well using VB 2005--but would like to move to VB C++, or just plain C++.

Seedpress
0 Kudos

Gargy
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi I have for you 2 messages:
1. ZSTAR3 sw isn't available on web in these days (I hope in 1-2 mouth can be)

2. For ZSTAR3 is designed PC control library with defined API. All has been writeen in C#. Library is caled zstarlib.dll and was wrote for this library completed help file.
0 Kudos

ok2ucx
Contributor IV
Hallo,

there's ZSTAR2 demo in development (and also the new GUI). We may consider opening its source code if there's some interest shown. Also the firmware has been backported to ZSTAR and this new firmware allows up to 16 sensors connected to one USB stick simultaneously and allowing 120Hz sample rate too. Please, stay tuned.

Regardin the Linux, although not documented, the USB stick (in serial port mode) conforms to a minimal CDC profile thus easily connectable to any Linux machine (see acm.o module for details, I'm not sure if it's compiled on all systems, you need to check). We've tested the serial emulation on a Linux machine, worked properly.

HID device (mouse) works as well with no modifications too. Nothing tested on Mac though ;-(

Hope that helps a little.

Best regards, Pavel Lajsner
Freescale Czech Republic, ZSTAR co-developer
0 Kudos

cadproe
Contributor I
How do I get a hold of this ZSTAR2 demo and sources?
Thanks,
Tac.
0 Kudos