cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPX5100DP resolution

Jump to solution
petepauline
Contributor I

Hey There!  I have a question about the MPX5100DP and it's resolution.  I'm having some trouble (embarrassingly) understanding 45mV/kPa.  I'm hoping to observe changes is air pressure in the .01kPA range with an arduino. 

Is this possible?  If not is there another sensor that would be a more appropriate choice? 

Thanks so much!  Pete :smileyhappy:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Pete,

With a 10-bit ADC that is typically used on the Arduino boards, you can only get 1024 voltage readings between 0 and 5V, giving a difference of 4.88mV between readings. Considering sensitivity of 45mV/kPa, the resolution is about 108Pa.

We do have some more sensitive differential/gauge pressure sensors, but I need more information on your application to recommend the most suitable device.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer solves your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Pete,

With a 10-bit ADC that is typically used on the Arduino boards, you can only get 1024 voltage readings between 0 and 5V, giving a difference of 4.88mV between readings. Considering sensitivity of 45mV/kPa, the resolution is about 108Pa.

We do have some more sensitive differential/gauge pressure sensors, but I need more information on your application to recommend the most suitable device.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer solves your question, please mark it as "Correct" or “Helpful”. Thank you.

0 Kudos
petepauline
Contributor I

Hey Tomas!!

Thanks so much for the clarification!

I was hoping to use  a bunch of Arduinos (5v) to sense the delta in pressure between rooms.  I was looking to get near the : 0.1 in. H2O or 2.5 Pascals range.  Is there a freescale product that would allow me to sense this? 

Thanks Tomas!!

Pete :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos