cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPX2202DP operating voltage minimum?

Jump to solution
markforbes
Contributor I

I have a design using three MPX2202DP pressure sensors. They're currently operating from a 10.0V reference source, the nominal value in the datasheet. I find that I need to reduce the amplified output voltage of my circuit (gain-of-80 instrumentation amp) to accommodate my A-to-D converter. I was going to pad down the output with a resistor, but then I got to thinking....

Since the MPX2202DP is ratiometric, can I reduce the drive voltage from 10.0V to some lower value, thereby reducing the full-scale differential output and thus my final amplified output voltage? If yes, is there active circuitry inside the part which will stop working at some minimum supply voltage? And if that is true, what IS that minimum?

The datasheet shows a nominal 10V supply and a maximum of 16V. The minimum is shown as "--", which might imply zero, or might imply that it doesn't work, or that nobody bothered to try it and write it down. Which one is it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark,

Yes, you can reduce the supply voltage and therefore, the full-scale output of the sensor will change linearly.

Theoretical supply voltage can be close to zero voltage but absolute errors would be highest then measured. I recommend using at least 2V supply because of mentioned reason.

The disadvantage here is that we do not guarantee and specify the operation of the device at this voltage, but the part actually works. 

I hope this information will be useful for you.
If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.
David Diaz.
PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark,

Yes, you can reduce the supply voltage and therefore, the full-scale output of the sensor will change linearly.

Theoretical supply voltage can be close to zero voltage but absolute errors would be highest then measured. I recommend using at least 2V supply because of mentioned reason.

The disadvantage here is that we do not guarantee and specify the operation of the device at this voltage, but the part actually works. 

I hope this information will be useful for you.
If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.
David Diaz.
PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.
0 Kudos