FXAS21002 Gyro Obsolete

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FXAS21002 Gyro Obsolete

jeremiahg
Contributor III

I just received a late notice from my vendor that the FXAS21002 is being obsoleted. We developed a product with SensorFusion library using FXAS21002 and FXOS8700. These are the same sensors that the NXP team used to develop SensorFusion algorithms. NXP offers FRDM-STBC-AGM01 which contains both sensors. I did a quick search and it looks like NXP does not offer a replacement gyro. In fact it looks like NXP has entirely stopped producing gyro ICs.

Is it true that no replacements exist? If so, does NXP offer any recommendations for third party replacements?

Seems like those of us needing this might have to do a large last time buy.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jeremiah, 

I have received the answer. Could you please provide an estimated product longevity. For the answer please see the description.

DESCRIPTION

Unfortunately, I do not know of a direct third party replacement that is pin for pin compatible. Who is the customers asking? What is their estimated product longevity?

Best regards Jozef

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jeremiah, 

I have an update to the obsolete gyroscope. Please see the description.

DESCRIPTION

Unfortunately, the automotive gyroscope is not expected in the next year and the details can only be shared with select customers under NDA at this time.

Best regards Jozef

jeremiahg
Contributor III

Jozef,

Thanks for taking a look into this. We have decided to place a large last time buy since no direct pin compatible device is available. There is too much risk to redesign the board due to the nature of the product. We do have an NDA with NXP which actually came about for this very product. I will keep an eye out for your gyro next year in case we need it in the future.

I have one last question. Is there any current plans to end production of the FXOS8700? I don't see any issues on your product page.

Regards,

Jeremiah

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jeremiah, 

regarding the FXOS8700 I have also received an answer.

DESCRIPTION

In regards to the FXOS8700: At this time this is no immediate plans to discontinue. The FXOS8700 has successfully transferred to a new assembly site this year to ensure the longevity of the product.  

Best regards Jozef

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jeremiah, 

I have asked for a schedule of the development of the replacement for the FXAS21002 gyroscope. As soon as I will receive the schedule I will send it to you. Also please see the description. 
APP. ENG. DESCRIPTION
Unfortunately there is no direct replacement for the
FXAS21002 at this time. There is an automotive gyro that is in development that
may fit this requirement. I will reach out to the PLM to get a schedule for
you.

Best regards Jozef

0 Kudos