cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make.exe "access denied"

Jump to solution
dkageff
Contributor III

I have installed S32 Design Studio for Power Architecture v2.1 on my 64-bit Windows 10 PC.  I created a project from the FreeRTOS example project.  When I tried to build it, I got the following error:

Ld error: Cannot run program "C:\NXP\S32DS_Power_v2.1\S32DS\build_tools\msys32\usr\bin\make.exe": Access is denied

What can cause this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dkageff
Contributor III

UPDATE:  The IT team changed the Symantec Endpoint rules and everything now appears to work.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dan,

If you create an empty project using the wizard File -> New -> S32DS Application Project and then build it once it is created. Do you get the same error? Are you able to build any projects or do you always get this error?

Could you share the full build output when this error occurs?

Mike

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

I created an empty project for the MPC5748G named BuildTestProject and tried build it.  I got the same error:

dkageff_0-1645565202759.png

This is the same error that I’ve gotten for the other two projects that I created.  I even uninstalled Design Studio and reinstalled it as Administrator but that didn’t help.

I did install the S32 Design Studio on my personal laptop and was able to successfully build so I wonder if the problem has something to do with corporate security software on my company laptop.

I have attached a zipfile of the logs that I could find.

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dan,

Thank you for sharing the logs. I reviewed them, but I didn't see clues beyond what you already shared.

It does appear something is blocking the access to the GCC executable. Since you were able to successfully install and launch S32 Design Studio for Power Architecture v2.1, it seems a user account privileges issue is unlikely.

Perhaps it's possible if another build never completed and somehow is blocking access to the compiler. Have you tried restarting S32 Design Studio or even rebooting your PC since this issue first occurred? I've seen some strange things happen with Eclipse in the past and a simple relaunch or reboot resolves it.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

I have restarted S32 Design Studio and my PC several times but still get the same error.  It tried running powerpc-eabivle-gcc.exe in a command window to see if I get the "access denied" error:

C:\Users\MTCA\workspaceS32DS.Power.2.1\flexcan_mpc5748g_rtos_sdk303_Z4_0\Sources>powerpc-eabivle-gcc.exe main.c

It didn't compile because there are probably other things set up by the IDE, but I didn't get an access error.  I wonder if it has something to do with Java trying to run the command conflicting with Windows security.

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dan,

Your command window use gave me a good idea. You should be able to run S32 Design Studio from command line and reproduce the same build, just without the Eclipse GUI. So if it builds there, then you may have at least a workaround if not a clue as to where the issue is. Though, it seems you may already be on to something.

We have an article on command line interface: https://community.nxp.com/t5/S32-Design-Studio-Knowledge-Base/HOWTO-S32-Design-Studio-Command-Line-I...

Also, we have some details in one of the manuals for another version of S32 Design Studio, but I think they will work with the one you have as well:

Command Line Execution - Working With Projects

S32 Design Studio as an Eclipse IDE takes care about compiling and building all the projects with source files. One can import, build and clean-build projects using the following options sent to Eclipse at the command line:

eclipse -nosplash

-application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild
        -import {[uri:/]/path/to/project}
        -build {project_name | all}
        -cleanBuild {projec_name | all}

On Windows, use eclipsec.exe instead of eclipse.exe or tools.exe or s32ds.exe or s32ds.bat to have the build output written to stdout/stderr and so the call blocks until compl

On Linux there is no restrictions, use eclipse or tools or s32ds.

Eclipse offers a huge number of command line options to configure many aspects, some of the most popular ones are:
  • -clean

If set to "true", any cached data used by the OSGi framework and eclipse runtime will be wiped clean. This will clean the caches used to store bundle dependency resolution and eclipse extension registry data. Using this option will force eclipse to reinitialize these caches.

• -data

The instance data location for this session. Plug-ins use this location to store their data. For example, the Resources plug-in uses this as the default location for projects (aka the workspace).

• -vm

When passed to the Eclipse executable, this option is used to locate the Java VM to use to run Eclipse. It should be the full file system path to an appropriate: Java jre/bin directory, Java Executable, Java shared library (jvm.dll or libjvm.so), or a Java VM Execution Environment description file. If not specified, the Eclipse executable uses a search algorithm to locate a suitable VM. In any event, the executable then passes the path to the actual VM used to Java Main using the -vm argument.

• -consoleLog

If "true", any log output is also sent to Java's System.out (typically back to the command shell if any). Handy when combined with -debug.

Let’s take some examples to see how they work on Windows:
  • Import project into Eclipse workspace

eclipsec.exe -noSplash \

-application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild \
            --launcher.ini /path/to/S32DS/installation/eclipse/s32ds.ini \
            -data /path/to/workspace \
            -import /path/to/project

eclipsec.exe -noSplash \

-application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild \
            --launcher.ini C:\NXP\S32DS\eclipse\s32ds.ini \
            -data C:\workspace \
            -import C:\temp\testPrj

This will launch Eclipse without splash screen (-noSplash), uses –launcher.ini option to point to the product .ini file, then the –application command to load the managed make builder (which is used to import and build projects), with -data that specifies the workspace to be used, and with the -import command that will import the project into specified eclipse workspace.

Hope it helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it and unfortunately I still get the "access denied" error.  It looks like the command line is still using Java so I'm wondering if our company security configuration blocks Java runtime.  Here is the command line that I used:

C:\NXP\S32DS_Power_v2.1\eclipse\eclipsec.exe -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data C:\Users\MTCA\workspaceS32DS.Power.2.1 -build flexcan_mpc5748g_rtos_sdk303_Z4_0/Debug_RAM

I had to use a full path to eclipsec.exe because it wasn't in my path environment variable.  I've attached a screenshot of the command line output.

I will talk to my IT person to see what he thinks.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

It looks like the problem may be that the Symantec Endpoint security software rules are blocking S32 Design Studio from issuing the make command.  I have requested that our company IT team change the security rules to see if that takes care of the problem.  I will let you know if it does.

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

UPDATE:  The IT team changed the Symantec Endpoint rules and everything now appears to work.

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

did you installed S32DS as a normal user? What about your windows access privileges, can you execute the make.exe command in command line? 

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

My Windows account does have admin privileges and I was able to go the S32 bin folder and run make.exe:

C:\Users\MTCA>C:\NXP\S32DS_Power_v2.1\S32DS\build_tools\msys32\usr\bin\make.exe -j12 all
make: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dkageff
Contributor III

UPDATE: I also got this same error when I tried to build the "Blinking LED" project described in "HOWTO_Create_a_Blinking_LED_Project_MPC5748G.pdf".

0 Kudos