cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect S32 debug probe to S32G-VNP-RDB2

bgarcia
Contributor I

Hi

I just got a new S32 debug probe, but sadly it is not working properly. I tried connecting it via USB and via Eth with the same results. The problem is that when I click on "Test connection" on the debugger configuration inside S32DS 3.4 and it says "The board is not connected"

That conflicts with the led status, that is orange and goes off when I switch off the S32G-VNP-RDB2.

I also tried to connect via ccs (ccs\bin\ccs.exe -cc s32dbg:192.168.0.202 -console) but any ccs:: command yields "Chain not configured". Doing findcc s32dbg returns

s32dbg (00:04:9f:08:40:59): S32 Debug Probe v2
  Legacy ARM JTAG Probe Tip
  Boot Loader v1.0.1
  Operating System v1.0.6

I already tried to follow the troubleshooting chapter but it was useless.

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Can you help us confirm the following information from your setup?:

• Which RTD version do you have installed?
  • In which Boot Mode are you setting your RDB2?
  • Is your RDB2 already powered-up when you try to debug?
  • Do you have any policy restrictions on regards of USB port handling in your laptop?

Also, can you help us providing the steps you are following for debugging within S32DS3.4? For us to better understand the process you are following.

The LED status can be misleading, but if the LED goes orange and starts blinking should indicate that there is a partial stop on the processor [Page 17, S32 Debug Probe, User Guide, Rev. 2.0, 02/2020]:

"The status LED (labeled RUN/PAUSE) indicates the state of the target as follows:

The LED is orange when the target is in mixed mode

..."

But depending on your boot mode, it could connect or not. The boot mode should be set as Serial Boot Mode for the correct behavior under the debugging session.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

bgarcia
Contributor I

Hi Daniel, thanks for replying. Let me add this info

• Which RTD version do you have installed?

I am using SW32G_RTD_4.4_4.0.0_P05_HF01

• In which Boot Mode are you setting your RDB2?

I am booting from the SD card, the Yocto Linux fsl-image-auto from the BSP 37.0. The M7_0 is launched from Linux.

• Is your RDB2 already powered-up when you try to debug?

Yes, and I tested it with the M7_0 either not started and in hardfault status (What I actually want to debug)

• Do you have any policy restrictions on regards of USB port handling in your laptop?

Not that I know of, also, I have the same behavior when I connect to the debugger via Eth

The steps I followed are

1. Open S32DS 3.4, I select a project

2. In the "Dashboard" tab I click on "Debug Settings"

3. In the "Edit Configuration" window I go to "Debugger" tab

4. In hardware I go with S32G274A_Rev2 and M7_0

5. Under "Debug Probe Connection" I select either "S32 Debug Probe - USB" or "S32 Debug Probe - Ethernet" and I enter the specific location

6. I click on "Test connection"

The status leds goes solid orange all the time. If the debugger can only be used with the Serial Boot Mode it will be incompatible with our use case as we need to debug a running system.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We understand that for "Test Connection" to work, your board should be set as Serial Boot Mode, since this is related to the BootROM Code being executed at that specific boot mode.

Can you help us confirm that you are able to establish a connection by setting your board's boot mode to Serial Boot Mode?

As for debugging applications that are not in Serial Boot Mode, we can recommend taking a look at the following community thread:

HOWTO: JTAG Flash Programming with S32 Debugger an... - NXP Community

The general steps show how to flash the binary itself, but at the end some steps are shown on how to debug an application, for what we understand, not under Serial Boot mode.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos