Support for #pragma section in NXP GCC toolchain for Power Architecture

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for #pragma section in NXP GCC toolchain for Power Architecture

qwertyu
Contributor I

I am wondering if it is planned to integrate support for the usual #pragma section constructs of other toolchains into the NXP GCC toolchain for Power Architecture (current available version is 4.9.4).

Background for my question is that this should be the main (or even only?) functionality that is missing to allow translation of AUTOSAR software packages (e. g. like the MCAL and OS provided by NXP) with a GCC toolchain.

Other toolchains like CodeWarrior, WindRiver Diab and GreenHills provide these pragmas each in their own specific form. However, those toolchain details can be abstracted when adhering to the AUTOSAR memory mapping specification.

With standard GCC, there is no support for #pragma section constructs and you can only use __attribute__ to assign a specific linker section to an object but this is completely incompatible with the AUTOSAR memory mapping specification and makes GCC basically not usable for AUTOSAR software translation.

This recent thread also discusses about integration of #pragma section constructs into another NXP GCC toolchain for S32 Platform:

https://community.nxp.com/message/1353931

As the general support of #pragma section constructs should not be that dependent on processor-platform specifics I am asking if such support could be added for Power Architecture devices in a future NXP GCC toolchain and S32 DS release.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

qwertyu
Contributor I

Can somebody at NXP with probably more insight regarding the GCC toolchains please check my question again (e. g. @PetrS or @alexanderfedoto or @stanish)?

0 Kudos

johnrusso
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately, the global scope  pragma section feature is not planned to be ported to Power Architecture GCC. Power Architecture GCC 4.9 is maintained as bug fix only changes.

0 Kudos