Different Update Methods in S32 DS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Update Methods in S32 DS

tsweaver
Contributor II

I'm using S32 DS for ARM version 2.2.  I've noticed that there are multiple ways to update inside of S32 DS and it doesn't seem that they do the same thing.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the differences for these:

1. S32DS Extensions and Updates - this pops up when starting S32 DS

2. Check for Updates - this is in the Help menu

3. Install New Software... - this is also available from the Help menu

When would one use one or the other? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

tsweaver
Contributor II

VaneB, I appreciate that you took the time to respond.  However, it doesn't answer my question.  I'd like to understand the use cases for each. Why after downloading and installing with the latest S32DS installer, were there upgrade options from all 3?  The Install New Software feature gave me the option to install newer versions of S32DS for ARM SDK (PEX binary and SDK 3.0.3 patch).  These appear to be upgrades to existing features, not new features/software. I'm pretty sure I saw the same options in the other 2 update methods.  That's the reason for this post. Even after upgrading everything that was listed in the S32DS Extensions and Updates, I still was given options to upgrade the same things in the other update mechanisms.

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @tsweaver 

S32DS Extensions and Updates and Install New Software are similar. It is common to use S32DS Extensions and Updates to add the updated sites but Install New Software works better for installing software versions created for older tool versions. Otherwise, Check for Updates is linked to certain websites to look for updates.

Summing up, the first two are used to manually install software packages, the only difference is that with Install New Software you can install packages from previous versions of S32DS (the correct functionality of packages not compatible with the IDE version is not guaranteed). And the last one searches the internet for any available updates.

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @tsweaver 

Check for Updates: requires Internet access to contact the Websites defined in your Available Software Sites preferences to look for upgrades. If any upgrades are available, they will be presented in the Available Updates wizard. 

S32DS Extensions and Updates: a tool to help you find and install the latest product updates and optional software packages. This displays all S32 Design Studio updates and software packages already installed and ready to be installed.

Install New Software: allows you to add new software to your installation.

B.R.

VaneB

0 Kudos