cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommended c tutorial books

eeetee
Contributor I
hi:

i'm still one of the assembler only dinosaurs. can someone recommend a starter book on programming in c (specifically for the s12 type of chips? someone gave me help on this a few years ago, but i can't locate the information.

thanks in advance!

regards,

ed
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

DavidM
Contributor I
I'll add the best one I've found bar none is the Red Book, "Learning to Program in C," by Thomas Plum. It's a great starter book.

David M.
0 Kudos

mardalianis
Contributor III
Hi David,
can you give us the ISBN for this book?
Thanks
Chris
0 Kudos

RChapman
Contributor I

I see online:

United States

ISBN: 0911537082

United Kingdom

ISBN: 0859342034

0 Kudos

mardalianis
Contributor III
Thanks MOD.
Chris
0 Kudos

eeetee
Contributor I

hi david:

thanks for your reply!

regards,

ed

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Yo,

I've also been advised Uni of Texas In Austin which gives good stuff.

Cheers, Alban.
0 Kudos

eeetee
Contributor I

hi again:

thanks very much for your replies! between the primer in the learning center and the unversity of texas information, i'm well on track!

cool shades man! everything must have quite a green glow when you remove them.

thanks again!

ed

0 Kudos

RChapman
Contributor I

There is also a book advertised on this site for very basic programming help with the Freescale HC12 family:

Programming the Freescale M68HC12 Family
By Gordon Doughman

http://www.rtcbooks.com/programming.php

I'm not a programmer, but I hope this helps too!

Thanks.

0 Kudos

jmhill
Contributor I
Hello folks;

I teach an embedded processors course and generally use two texts. I really like using the "Programming the Motorola M68HC12 Family" text as it really focuses on the nitty-gritty of the device and complements the Simon text that I also use. Doughman's text helps navigate issues associted with the peripherals.

I apolagize if this topic has been raised already. The problem I have is that it appears that the Doughman text is out of print. Is this true? I'd really love to tell our bookstore where to buy some for the upcoming spring semester.

If it is true that the book is not available in any way, can you kind folks suggest a different text? Here is what I see in such a candidate book.

o Students will be programming in 'C' but some reference material regtarding assembly and the architecture helps students to understand strengths of the processor
o Details on initializing the processor is important and overlooked by other texts
o The nitty-gritty on interrupts
o Details on the peripherals

I will appreciate your comments;
Sincerely;
Jonathan
0 Kudos

eeetee
Contributor I

hi:

as per usual, it was right in front of me, in the learning center! with theoverview and a few examples, i'm sure it will come fairly easy.

regards,

ed

0 Kudos