cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programming the MC9XDP512

bluemind
Contributor I
I'm new to the 16bit processer family.

An as I am a student, I try to find the cheapest way to program this device.

Im not affraid to solve, if i just know what to solve. I have been around the site but cant fine a DIY way, ore maby i have just look the wrong place.

Is there somebody there have a Diagram/layout of a programmer to the MC9XDP512. with a program to that would be top notch.

/Tobias

Message Edited by bluemind on 02-23-200609:31 AM

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi,
Click on the left navigation on 16-Bit Micro Community and Community files.
Then load the Turbo Background Debug Module Light.
More commonly called TBDML.
Alban.
0 Kudos

bluemind
Contributor I
hi, quick answer..... great.

So you are actually using a 9chip to program the 12chip through a usb cable.

and then connect the bdm(1 wire) to the devices BKGD pin, and is active after reset.

Ane through the 1 wire are the s12 programmed and crontrolled, ore have I missde something? Looks even more simple than the 908.

/T
0 Kudos

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
If you are familiar with the MON08 system on the HC08 parts then http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2497.pdf tells you the difference between BDM and MON08 and shows what the advantages are.
The BDM on the S12X is very similar to the BDM on the S08.
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi T,

That's it, yes !
Looks simpler for the user, but not behind :smileywink:
On the HC08 you have a simple serial protocol and the rest is just config/control.
On S08, S12, S12X, the serial protocol is more sophisticated and allow you much more. Like for instance stop execution and see the status of the MCU, you cannot do that with MON08 on HC08.

Alban.
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
I have not heard of actually getting TBDML to work on the 9S12X. Can anyone tell me limitations, like bus speed?
0 Kudos

Daniel
Contributor I
S12X is no different from the other S12s when it comes to the BDM interface and how it works.

The only critical limitation of the cable is the crystal speed (16MHz max). This has no relation to the bus speed, as the on-chip PLL can generate frequencies far above the crystal frequncy. This does not affect fucntionality of the cable in any way.

Please read the manual if you want to know more details.

Daniel
0 Kudos