Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S12 BDMPod detection in App

Jump to solution
fmiku
Contributor III

Hello,

There is any possible way to detect a connected BDMPod to the controller in a runing firmware ?

My target is realtime bypassing of the wai and stop instructions while debugger are connected.

I very rarely using the debugger and I always stuck on same problem.

Because my firmware uses wai and stop the debugger can't connect and/or freezes when thh processor going to sleep.

so I always spend of hours to finding the problem, why de debugger is freezes....

I know I'm stupid a little...

My another question is, any easy way to disable all interrupts when I stopped and using trace command ?

currently im mods the CCR by hand to disable the interrupts.

I'm using BDMPod with Firmware: 6.0.0b17, Bootloader Version: 2.0.6 with S12G, S12VR, S12XS processors.

1 Solution
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ferenc,
Unfortunately, my experiences with LFBDMPGMR are quite limited.

I am afraid that BDM connection is not the right tool for debugging MCU which going into stop mode.
The clocks are disabled and BDM connection lost in that case.

I think that you probably need some tool for real-time debugging. I would like to recommend for example Freemaster:
http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/wireless-charging-ics/freemaster-run-time-debugging-too...
You may read/modify/write variables/register/… during run-time. It typically uses some serial channel like SCI for communication.
The disadvantage is that you need to implement and service serial driver in your code.

Note: The CPU can not enter a low power mode (stop or wait) during BDM active mode.

Yes, you may set I bit for mask all I-bit maskable interrupts.
Currently, I do not have any other idea how to do a different way.
Note: If your application uses COP, I would like to recommend trying to set RSBCK bit for stop the COP and RTI in Active BDM mode.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Ferenc,

Since most of BDM debuggers most of the time start the debug session from resetting target into special single chip mode, you may detect it like this

// wasn't BKGD pulled low at poweron / reset?

if(MODE & MODE_MODC_MASK)
      {
             // no, it was high and not pulled low by BDM dongle

// ,normal operating mode, we can WAI...

asm("WAI");
       }

fmiku
Contributor III

Hi Edward,

It's an awsome idea !

works perfectly, Thank you ! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ferenc,
Unfortunately, my experiences with LFBDMPGMR are quite limited.

I am afraid that BDM connection is not the right tool for debugging MCU which going into stop mode.
The clocks are disabled and BDM connection lost in that case.

I think that you probably need some tool for real-time debugging. I would like to recommend for example Freemaster:
http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/wireless-charging-ics/freemaster-run-time-debugging-too...
You may read/modify/write variables/register/… during run-time. It typically uses some serial channel like SCI for communication.
The disadvantage is that you need to implement and service serial driver in your code.

Note: The CPU can not enter a low power mode (stop or wait) during BDM active mode.

Yes, you may set I bit for mask all I-bit maskable interrupts.
Currently, I do not have any other idea how to do a different way.
Note: If your application uses COP, I would like to recommend trying to set RSBCK bit for stop the COP and RTI in Active BDM mode.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
Radek

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!