cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2081 DDR3L Interface

hemanttiwari199
Contributor III

Hi,

Currently I am working on the design which involve DDR3 (MT41K512M16VRN-107 IT:P) interface with T2081. I am attaching the screenshot of my interface for your reference.

I have the following queries:

1) As in T2081, we have 4 chip select line, how do I identified how many CS lines I required in my design? (Currently I am using only one CS line in my design).

2) We have two clock line (mck0, ~mck0 and mck1, ~mck1) in t2081, is it necessary to use both the diff. clock in the design? (I am using both the clock in my design)

3) Importance of MODT0 and MODT1? Can I use both or just one line is enough? (Currently I am using only one in my design)

4) In DDR IC (MT41K512M16VRN-107 IT:P), we have LDM and UDM pin? can I reverse the connection in those pins? Does reversing the connection will cause the performance issue? (Please check the attached image)

Waiting to hear from you soon.

T2081: Layout DDR3 and other High Speed Signals

Regards

Hemant

0 Kudos
5 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) Chip-select corresponds to memory bank. For one memory bank one chip-select has to be used.

2) Please refer to the AN3940 - Hardware and Layout Design Considerations for DDR3 SDRAM, Table 1. DDR3 designer checklist, 46:

"Ensure one clock pair is used for each chip-select. The clock pair should follow the address/command/control signal groups in fly-by topology."

3) The processor has four MODT[0: 3] signals. Each MODTn signal corresponds to specific chip-select - refer to the AN3940, Table 1. DDR3 designer checklist, 37:

" Connect each of the MODT signals that are in the same group to the same physical memory bank:

• MODT(0), MCS(0), MCKE(0)
  • MODT(1), MCS(1), MCKE(1)
  • MODT(2), MCS(2), MCKE(2)
  • MODT(3), MCS(3), MCKE(3)"

4) You wrote:

> ? can I reverse the connection in those pins?

In the provided pictures connections are incorrect.

Please consider that DQS belongs to specific byte lane as specified in the AN3940, Table 1. DDR3 designer checklist, 25:

""Route all signals within a given byte lane on the same critical layer with the same via count. Assuming ECC

is used, the DDR3 data bus consists of nine data byte lanes.

Note: The byte ordering below is not a requirement; byte lanes can be routed in the order that best fits the

user’s application.

• Byte lane 0—MDQ(7:0), MDM(0), MDQS(0), MDQS(0)
  • Byte lane 1—MDQ(15:8), MDM(1), MDQS(1), MDQS(1)
  • Byte lane 2—MDQ(23:16), MDM(2), MDQS(2), MDQS(2)
  • Byte lane 3—MDQ(31:24), MDM(3), MDQS(3), MDQS(3)
  • Byte lane 4—MDQ(39:32), MDM(4), MDQS(4), MDQS(4)
  • Byte lane 5—MDQ(47:40), MDM(5), MDQS(5), MDQS(5)
  • Byte lane 6—MDQ(55:48), MDM(6), MDQS(6), MDQS(6)
  • Byte lane 7—MDQ(63:56), MDM(7), MDQS(7), MDQS(7)
  • Byte lane 8—MECC(7:0), MDM(8), MDQS(8), MDQS(8)"
0 Kudos

hemanttiwari199
Contributor III

Hi, 

thankyou for the prompt response.

Can you highlight the connections which are incorrect so that i can get a clear understanding?

Attaching the images again so that you can mark the error's out!!

Regards

Hemant

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please read the response 4) and see corrections in the pictures.

ddr2_c.png

ddr1_c.png

  

hemanttiwari199
Contributor III

THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLY. I WILL DO THE CHANGES.

1)Also in the design, instead of using MCK0 AND MCK1, CAN I USE ONLY SINGLE MCK0 FOR ALL THE DDR INCLUDING ECC?

2)Can i use only one chip select for all my DDR IC shown in the picture?  if yes, please explain.

3)In t2081, we have only two on die termination? Again can i use only one for all the DDR IC? if yes, please explain

Regards

Hemant

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please thoroughly read previous answers and the AN3940 before asking further questions.

0 Kudos