Does the ls1043 correct for DDR memory errors?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the ls1043 correct for DDR memory errors?

tracysmith
Contributor IV

Does the ls1043 correct for DDR memory errors? yes/no/maybe?

On the forum an NXP engineer checked and said ECC is NOT supported on the LS1043, but it's unclear if that means memory errors are not corrected on the LS1043 by the hardware (processor or memory controller). Just need clarification.

I have attached a ground on the data line to inject a DDR memory hardware error and I was able to detect the error using the DDR ERR_DETECT (E40h) register that detects if ECC errors exist. The ERR_DETECT register returned on read MME (multiple memory errors) and MBE (multiple bit errors) and didn’t specify the kind of error beyond this. The error was not logged in the Linux system log and I don’t see any indication it was corrected. Memory correction is critical. If ECC errors are corrected, it should clear the ERR_DETECT E40h correct? 

Also, please let me know which board in the LS family supports error memory correction and detection in the hardware and does it also support error detection from the software such as logging the ECC errors and does it make use of the DDR ECC registers for logging ECC errors? A more complete answer is greatly appreciated since memory correction is critical.

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The ls1043 supports ECC on the DDR interface. This means it is able to correct single bit errors and detect multiple bit errors if ECC memory is implemented in hardware (on the board). In other words it is not enough if the processor supports ECC, the board should also be designed with ECC support. For example, the LS1043A-RDB does not support ECC because on board DDR4 memory is 32-bit wide, i.e. without ECC. If one designs a LS1043A-based board, he/she needs to build 36-bit DDR interface to be able to use ECC feature, where 32-bit is the memory itself and 4-bit is ECC memory.

Following NXP boards provide ECC support: LS1043A-QDS, LS1046A-RDB.

Regards,

Bulat

tracysmith
Contributor IV

Where can I find the schematics and hardware specifics for the LS1043A-QDS. We May need to do mods based on the LS1043A-QDS and respin.

0 Kudos

andrei_skok
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The requested information is NXP Confidential Proprietary and can only be provided under non-disclosure agreement (NDA). 

Please create a Service Request to get this information.

Have a great day,
Andrei

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos