Using PEx for Open Source / Open Hardware?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PEx for Open Source / Open Hardware?

robriggs
Contributor II

Does Freescale offer PEx components under any open source license that would permit its use in an open source / open hardware project?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Precondition: this is *not* a legal advice, as I'm not a lawyer!

I recommend to carefully read the licensing terms.

For Driver Suite 10.3 it is here: C:\Freescale\PExDrv v10.3\eclipse\ProcessorExpert\DOCs\EULA.txt

In general: it only allows you to develop and distribute derivative work for Freescale processors.

0 Kudos

robriggs
Contributor II

Thanks Erich.  And thanks for all the work you have done with mcuoneclipse.com.  It's a wonderful resource for Freescale developers and anyone wanting to learn about embedded development.

Any hope of convincing Freescale to open source their libraries?  The current license is going to hurt their chances with people like me in the OSHW maker movement.  Their MCU is a perfect fit for my project.  The software license has me looking elsewhere.

ARM has changed the license on CMSIS code to a BSD license and TI has done the same with their libraries.  So code generated by TI's tools for TIVA is redistributable under a BSD license.  I really would love to see Freescale follow suit with the Kinetis tools.  I will be an enthusiastic supporter if they do!

0 Kudos