cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Open vSwitch

stacym
Contributor I

Hello all,

I am just beginning a project that requires OpenFlow protocol support.  I am required to accomplish this using the Freescale PowerQUICC 8308 processor for which I have a working ltib build environment.  I would like to learn how to add Open vSwitch without kernel support or if that is not possible, to add it to the kernel.  I am building with kernel 2.6.29 using ltib and so far, all I can find in the way of install instruction for open vSwitch are using 'configure' and 'make'.

Has anyone tried anything similar and could share some advice to help me get started?

Thanks,

Stacy

0 Kudos
2 Replies

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Stacy,

You could integrate open vSwitch into ltib as the following.

Please create a new folder openvswitch in dist/lfs-5.1/, then put the attached spec file in folder.

Enter into /opt/freescale/pkgs/, use wget download openvswitch-1.10.0.tar.gz and compute the md5sum then save it as file openvswitch-1.10.0.tar.gz.md5.

Run ./ltib -c

Select "Configure the Kernel" and "Leave the sources after building".

Select dependent package "openssl" and "bridge-utils".

Build and deploy openvswitch into filesystem.

./ltib -m prep -p openvswitch.spec

./ltib -m scbuild -p openvswitch.spec  (build the package)

./ltib -m scinstall -p openvswitch.spec  (install the package)

./ltib -m scdeploy -p openvswitch.spec (deploy it into filesystem)

./ltib (generate the filesystem again)

I have do some verification for you, but I didn't pass building openvswitch 1.10.0 with Kernel 2.6.29, I think there should be compatible problem, so more effort is still needed.

If further assistance is still needed, please feel free to let me know.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don't have similar experience, below are several FAQ copy from Open vSwitch, could this help you?

Q: What virtualization platforms can use Open vSwitch?

A: Open vSwitch can currently run on any Linux-based virtualization platform (kernel 2.6.32 and newer), including: KVM, VirtualBox, Xen, Xen Cloud Platform, XenServer. As of Linux 3.3 it is part of the mainline kernel. The bulk of the code is written in platform- independent C and is easily ported to other environments. We welcome inquires about integrating Open vSwitch with other virtualization platforms.

Q: Does Open vSwitch only work on Linux?

A: No, Open vSwitch has been ported to a number of different operating systems and hardware platforms. Most of the development work occurs on Linux, but the code should be portable to any POSIX system. We've seen Open vSwitch ported to a number of different platforms, including FreeBSD, Windows, and even non-POSIX embedded systems. By definition, the Open vSwitch Linux kernel module only works on Linux and will provide the highest performance. However, a userspace datapath is available that should be very portable.

Q: What's involved with porting Open vSwitch to a new platform or switching ASIC?

A: The PORTING document describes how one would go about porting Open vSwitch to a new operating system or hardware platform.

0 Kudos