cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PF3000 Programming

shashank1
Contributor III

Hi All,

Please help in the programming of PF3000. I have few following questions.

Q1. I am not able to program the PF3000 IC. I have customized the voltages, when I program and put the IC in my other product, I am not able to get the programmed voltages. I followed the video shown. But still OTP programming is not happening. So, I am suspecting the problem with the OTP programming. 

Q2. How do I verify the programmed voltages? 

Q3. Why PF3000 EVC KITPF3000FRDMEVM is used? 

Please help. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

shashank1
Contributor III

Hi, I was able to program and verify the voltage with the external dc power supply to VIN pin=4V &  PWR_ON pin=3V on my application board. 

But when I use the power supply from the type-C connector (my application board has the power supply from the type-C connector to PMIC from Laptop), there is the voltage drop across the MOSFET of  more than 1V (PMPB15XP), I am getting the voltage of 3.45 to 3.6V So I believe that the PMIC is not getting sufficient voltage to turn on. Also, initially there is no 3V for the PWR_ON pin. 

Please help solving.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I was able to program and verify the voltage with the external dc power supply to VIN pin=4V &  PWR_ON pin=3V on my application board. 

But when I use the power supply from the type-C connector (my application board has the power supply from the type-C connector to PMIC from Laptop), there is the voltage drop across the MOSFET of  more than 1V (PMPB15XP), I am getting the voltage of 3.45 to 3.6V So I believe that the PMIC is not getting sufficient voltage to turn on. Also, initially there is no 3V for the PWR_ON pin. 

Please help solving.

It does seem like a problem on the MOSFET (PMPB15XP). Have you performed a swap test by replacing the failing MOSFET for a new one?

I would recommend you to contact NEXPERIA directly  for support regarding the MOSFET (PMPB15XP) in case you confirm this is causing the problem you are seen in your system.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Answering to your questions:

A1. You are maybe only TBB programming the PMIC instead of OTP programming it. 'Try-Before-Buy' (TBB) mode allows you to experiment with different voltages and sequences of the regulators. In the TBB mode, you can write to the TBBOTP registers directly and use them for startup of the PF3000. To maintain the contents of the TBBOTP registers in the absence of the main input supply (VIN), use a coin cell at the LICELL pin, otherwise, an OTP programming would be required.

A2. The only way to do it is checking the voltage of the regulators or checking if the registers don’t return back to the default value after a Power On Reset.

A3. KITPF3000FRDMEVM is an evaluation board, the PF3000 device populated on KITPF3000FRDMEVM features the A1 OTP and it is not meant to be used for OTP programming, but only for TBB programming.

If you check VDDOTP pin in the schematic, you would see that it is connected to J5, which gives you the option to connect VDDOTP to VCOREDIG (to load from default values), or, connect VDDOTP to GND (load from fuses/Try-before-buy), for OTP programming, this pin would be required to be connected to a 8V Boost, which is not possible in this board.

For OTP programming, the KITPF3000FRDMPGM would be required: https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/analog-toolbox/pf3000-programming-board:KITPF3000FRDMP...

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos

shashank1
Contributor III

Hi Jose,

I have the programming board with me. I am following the following procedure

1. I am clicking on configuration tab, edit configuration, now the tool enters in TBB mode and I am selecting the required voltages for my application and then coming to run mode and doing program. 

2. Also, I have tried, clicking on the configuration tab, directly loading the saved configuration and program. 

So, is there any mistake in my procedure. I believe this is the OTP programming. 

When I remove the IC and mount it in my application board, I am not getting the output. 

Please help.

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Your programming procedure seems correct, for details check section 4.3.3 of the user guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/KTPF3000FRDMPGMUG.pdf

There is a RED LED (D2) on the programming board, if this LED turns on, that means the programming is in progress. Is this RED LED turning ON when you are programming the board?

After programming completes, look at the last line of the log window. If it shows no errors, your PF3000 device has been programmed successfully. Do you see any error in the last lane after programming the PMIC?

0 Kudos

shashank1
Contributor III

Hi, I am able to program the device and see the output. I had got the voltae drop across MOSFET. Actually, PMIC should get 3V at PWR_ON pin, then only we will get the 4.5V after the MOSFET.

Also, do you have further more information regarding options in the GUI. As I can see some functions like power control(as highlighted in the picture). May I know the functionality of those.? 

I am searching for an option where the status of the PWR_ON pin does not affect the switcher and LDO output voltages, can it be programmed ?

PFHC.JPG 

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

It does seem like a problem on the MOSFET (PMPB15XP). Have you performed a swap test by replacing the failing MOSFET for a new one?

I would recommend you to contact NEXPERIA directly  for support regarding the MOSFET (PMPB15XP) in case you confirm this is causing the problem you are seen in your system.

From the Power Control Settings:

“LDO Short Circuit Protection Enable” turns ON the REGSCPEN bit. Whenever a current limit event occurs on a LDO regulator, this regulator is shutdown.

“Standby Active Low”, turns On the STANDBYINV bit, STANDBYINV is used to control the polarity of the STANDBY pin.

“System Reset Enable”, turn on the PWRONRSTEN bit, when set to 1, the PF3000 can enter OFF mode when the PWRON pin is held low for 4 seconds or longer.

“Auto Restart after Reset Enable” turns on the RESTARTEN bit, When set to 1, the PF3000 restarts automatically after a power off event generated by the PWRON (held low for 4 seconds or longer) when PWR_CFG bit = 1.

You can try to toggle the PWRON button using the “Toggle PWRON button” to initiate the startup and check if this works.

PWRON should be powered with 3.3V  for normal work, this is typically true all the time when USB is connected.

BTW, I’ll be on Christmas vacation, back in the office on Tuesday 05.01.2021, if support is required during this time, I would recommend you to create a new community thread.

Regards,

Jose Reyes

0 Kudos

shashank1
Contributor III

Hi,

Do PMIC has any current limit by default? So that I should change it during the programming?

As my application is not working, I am suspecting the PMIC is not delivering enough current. 

To brief about my application, I have made a receiver dongle, which has the tuner and demod integrated in on IC.

All the supplies are coming from the PMIC, tuning is failing. So I am suspecting the PMIC is not supplying enough current? 

Please help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos