Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAT54 - Inrush current capability

Jump to solution
AlessioCaligiuri
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm designing an isolated DC/DC converter with a simple push-pull configuration and a central-tapped transformer. On the secondary side, there are two diodes and a 1uF capacitor to rectify the output. The operating frequency is 500kHz.

The nominal output current is around 100mA (abs max 150mA).

I'm planning to use BAT54 diodes, but I have a concern about their peak current capability, related to the inrush current of the circuit (charging the output capacitor at the startup). I'm assuming an ambient temperature < 60°C.

The NXP datasheet shows If=200mA at 25°C, and Ifsm=600mA at 25°C, square wave, tp<10ms; I guess this is related to the usage of the diode in a standard 50Hz / 60Hz rectifier. I would like to know if BAT54 can handle an higher forward current for a shorter time. In my circuit, the peak current duration is < 10µs and the maximum value is 1.8A.

Is there some documentation about "pulse power rating" of BAT54? I would like to understand if it can be used in my application.

Many thanks,

Alessio

0 Kudos
1 Solution
guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

BAT54 had Transferred to Nexperia on 06-Feb-2017,please contact with them for your issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

BAT54 had Transferred to Nexperia on 06-Feb-2017,please contact with them for your issue. 

0 Kudos
AlessioCaligiuri
Contributor I

Thanks,

Alessio

0 Kudos