cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet reference

jagxin
Contributor III

Hai every one

I am using a p2040 in vpx 6u form factor ,I am routing the SGMII lines through  a PHY The  output of the phy lines are connected through the magnectics and then  to the vpx connector do i have to connect a therm plane reference isolated from other digital grounds between the vpx connector and the magnetics or can i leave the region beneath the ethernet lines from the magnetics as void ,If it is void how will it get the reference.Is there any app notes for ethernet

regards

AGXIN.J

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> Is there any app notes

Follow the design and layout guides from the PHY manufacturer.

Meet requirments of VITA 46.0-2007 (VITA 48) for safety ground and and levels of ESD resistance.

> If it is void how will it get the reference

Extend the chassis ground region from the VPX connector ESD ground to the magnetics. No signals should pass through this region except for external interfaces. This region can be connected to the chassis, cable shields and safety earth ground.

>do i have to connect a therm plane reference isolated from other digital grounds

Floating thermal plane reference may cause EMI issues. It is preferable to connect it to digital ground and apply similar design rules with the respect to decoupling and EMI/ESD protection.

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos