Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCA9512A interface to a 2.5V I2C master

mfienberg
Contributor I

Hello,

The PCA9512A datasheet includes the following note: 

PCA9512A_snippet.PNG

(1)  Can someone confirm that the pull-up resistor voltage need not match the supply voltage without enabling the acceleration function?  Specifically, is there a hazard in using 2.5V pull-ups with a PCA9512A device powered by 3.3V?

My application has an 2.5V I2C master (whose input may not exceed 3.05V (VDDIO + 0.550V).  The PCA9512 has a VCC spec of 2.7V minimum.  I experimented with a PCA9515 legally powered at 2.5V, but there's an fixed-offset component (a PCA9615B) downstream that can't propagate the bus.  I could create a tiny 2.7V or 3.0V supply; but would prefer not, unless absolutely necessary.  Assuming the scenario works as I'd like--  I'd have a pair of pull-up resistors to 2.5V on the primary side of the PCA9512A with VCC = 3.3V; while the secondary side has, in two instances 3.3V pullups with VCC2=3.3V, and in a third, 5V pull-ups with VCC2 = 5V.

(2)  Of lesser importance, I'd like to understand what the hazard is in enabling the accelerator in this scenario.  Has no bearing on my application; just intellectual curiosity.

Thanks very much in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

mfienberg
Contributor I

Heh...  I just discovered the PCA9306...  Better solution?

0 Kudos

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please follow datasheet description about this topic application,otherwise can't promise!

0 Kudos

mfienberg
Contributor I

Thanks for your response, G.W.

I ultimately had to pull the trigger on the board respin for schedule reasons.  I had used a Pericom (Diodes Inc) PI4ULS5V202 level shifter elsewhere in the design for an MDIO bus (in that case 1.8V to 2.5V) with great success.  So I bugged that part in here for this application and it's working reliably, and is datasheet compliant.  So I'm up and running.

So ultimately I have three I2C bus translators, two still the PCA9515B for branches that do not cascade static offset devices-- both powered at 2.5V, translating from 2.5V to 5V, and from 2.5V to 3.3V, respectively; and the PI4ULS5V202 powered at 2.5V translating 2.5V to 3.3V.

(I'm still interested in understanding from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, though.)

0 Kudos