LRAE Bootloader

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LRAE Bootloader

KosKuba
Contributor I

Hi, first of all hello everyone, this is my first post.
I've been looking at the freescale AN datasheets about the LRAE bootloader for a long time, I'm collecting a lot of information and I'm wondering about a few elements that I can't understand, does each HCS12 microcontroller have a pre-programmed bootloader that we can later use with LRAE or do we have to program it ourselves first through BDM and later we can use by updating flash with CAN and using LRAE.

Below is an example of flash reading via the canbus bus, the processor used there is 0L85D 9S12DG128CPV, did the user upload the LRAE bootloader there and read the memory or did it in a different way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAO6RbZTShY&t=68s

0 Kudos
3 Replies

lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

A little bit extended answer....

the S12(X), Magni V family of the microcontrollers contains a peripheral called Background Debug Module which provides exactly defined protocol for communication with the MCU with programming/debugging tool.

So, the tool is responsible to manage this task. (It downloads programming algorithm to the MCU via BDM and then it sends a data frames  to be loaded into the flash memory using this algorithm ) For debugging as well as standalone programming tools you can visit www.pemicro.com pages.

Another programming possibility is a bootloader. However, the  bootloader is also user SW so it must be primarily loaded into the MCU by programming tool via BDM interface.

An additional info …. The CodeWarrior tool enables you to download the code into the MCU however  you still need to use USB BDM Multilink which is compatible with the CodeWarrior. Another way is, as I mentioned, to look pemicro pages.

BR

Ladislav

0 Kudos

KosKuba
Contributor I

So it is possible to write a bootloader and send it to hcs12 to download the flash.

From automotive units you can access device memory by seed key but when we do it on car we need geteway when we download program on table from one module then we are only connected to one CPU via can and then we need to load bootloader to download flash like in the video higher

0 Kudos

lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

No, this was the idea in the ancient times of MC9S12D devices. None of S12 family devices has the bootloader preprogrammed by default. However, there are some application notes related to a bootloader:

Unfortunately, CAN based bootloader is not developed for this device family. We do not have a Bootloader implementation that uses CAN as the interface and that is targeted for the S12(X) devices. There is Serial Bootloader only for S12(X) microcontrollers.

Some useful documents that might help you creating this Boot Loader Application are mentioned below.

AN3275 S12 All-Access Bootloader for the HCS12 Microcontroller Family

AN4258 Serial Bootloader for S12(X) Microcontrollers Based on 180 nm Technology

AN3391 LFAE Bootloader Example and Interface for use with AN2546 (CAN bootloader for S12XE)…it can be used to investigate CAN part of communication.

Of course there are some more bootloaders mentioned at the page presented bellow. You can investigate then to find the most suitable.

All of them use serial channel for communication but it can easily be changed to a CAN communication by your own communication routines to be synchronized with the “Loader”

The appplication notes can be found at:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/S12-MagniV-Microcontrollers/List-of-MagniV-and-S12-X-Application-notes/...

There is problem find SW for AN3391 so I attached it here.

Best regards,

Ladislav