cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility and chip recommendation

Lifehack
Contributor I

Hey!

I am new to the world of NFC and have much to learn... I have 2 questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. What defines the compatibility between a NFC chip and a reader? What is it that says that they can cummunicate with eachother, is it the protocol? (For example ISO 14443) How can I see if a chip and a reader are compatible?

2. My company are looking for a chip that has the potential of being very secure, in the sense that it can not be duplicated (we are open for various security methods), and is compatible with pretty much all standard readers on the market, as it will interact with multiple businesses.

Summary: We are looking for a chip that has potential of high lvl security and can communicate with pretty much any reader. Any suggestions on a chip that fits the kriteria?

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir!

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Our Readers and Tags are based, as you say on the ISO14443 specification, which at a low level is a type of communication that works at 13.56 MHz. This protocol specification ensures that many manufacturers can communicate with each other.

Our recommendation is to please explore the NTAG DNA, which is a tag intended for security applications where a Reader can only access the secure information after password authentication along with some other cryptographic algorithms.

Please check the following training for further information: https://www.themobileknowledge.com/training/nfc-essentials-2/

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

Lifehack
Contributor I

Hey Fabian!

Thank you for replying, I have now checked out some tags and protocols and I have one question, for example if a tag says it operates throught protocol 14443-4, is it then compatible with readers which are compatible with 14443? or must the reader say that it is comatbile with "14443-4"? My question is, what does the "-4" mean?

Have also seen letters included in some, for example "14443-3A", what does those mean?

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, if a tag says that it operates through protocol 14443-4 this means that the tag can be read by any reader that works under the 14443 protocol, the -4 is referred to the parts that conform to the specification. Please feel free to find this information on the ISO standards site. Part 4 refers to the Transmission protocol section. And, regarding the letters A or B, this means that the card is type A or B.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos