cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with DEMOQE128 installation

JohnR
Contributor I
Hello to all,

I am looking for some help getting my DEMOQE128 Flexis board working.

At one time I did have it installed and working - at least it appeared to be working.  I had gone through all of the Quick Start steps to install CW 6.0, then installed the P&E drivers.

It all worked as advertised in the Quick Start Guide.  The board would power up through the USB port, GREEN LED on and then the RED power LED would come on when I closed the power switch.  Pushing the four appropriate push buttons would emit a different sound from the buzzer.  LEDs 5 and 6 would either dim or brighten depending on the direction the pot was turned.

It was the next step that caused my problem.  When I opened the Logic Analyzer Utility from the DEMOQE Tool Kit, I tried to connect to the DEMOQE.  I saw a message that the Logic Analyzer was going to update the drivers for the DEMOQE because they were out of date.  This update failed and now the USB port won't even power the board.

Everytime I plug the board into the USB port the New Hardware Found Wizard pops up looking for the drivers it wants to update but fails because these drivers cannot be found.

Where do I go from here?

JR
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Zahar
Contributor IV
John,

It does seem like there has been a problem with firmware upgrade on your DEMOQE128 board.

It is very unforunate that you have not been able to get a more quicker reply from P&E about handling this issue. We are most often commited to providing our customers with prompt replies to their Support Requests. What is the number of the Support Request that you have open on P&E website.

What was the exact error that you got during a failed firmware upgrade?

There is a way for you to revert to the backup of the original firmware that has been running on your DEMOQE128 board. In order to do this you should perform the following procedure:

1. Short an unpopulated R1033 resistor and while keeping it shorted plug in your DEMOQE board into PC
2. Download latest firmware for DEMOQE v572 from here: http://pemicro.com/support/download_processor.cfm?type=4
3. Drop this latest firmware into your Codewarrior/prog/P&E folder
4. As you try to establish communication to your DEMOQE board via Codewarrior hiwave debugger, the latest firmware will be detected and hopefully this time the update will happen without a problem.

I hope that this info helps,

Best Regards,
Zahar
P&E

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hello and welcome to the forums, John.

Firstly, this is the wrong place for this query, it should be in the 8 bit section. Possibly it has been moved there /here already.

As to your problem I think you would be best advised to run the showDriversTest utility from the drivers directory on your DVD. Then maybe the install utility here.

If still having problems it may be an idea to get the multilink firmware update from pemicro.com. Its at Support|Downloads|Firmware Updates and update the firmware of the bdm adapter built into the demo board (this may have been what it was doing when it failed).
I just updated my standalone BDM adapter to the latest 5.72 (which my demoQE already has. I think this happened automatically when I was first using my board) using this utility.

Of course this might be all to no avail if you really have broken something due to an incomplete upgrade that needs some kind of manual massaging to get it to start from scratch. For this you might have to go to Freescale support direct.

0 Kudos

JohnR
Contributor I
Hello Peg,

My appologies for posting in the wrong spot...  I was jumping between the 8-bit MCU forum and this one before I posted and guess I just didn't watch close enough as to where I was when I posted!

I did run the P&E Micro Driver Test Utility and saw nothing unusual.  I also sent this to P&E Micro as well.  I have an open service request with P&E btw whihc has been open now for almost a week and I haven't been able to resolve this even with their help, so far anyway.

What install utitlity is there in the forums?  Where would I find this utility?

As far as updatignt the BDM Firmware is concerned, how would I do this on the DEMOQE128?  Can I do this without the USB?  Since I can't seem to talk tto the board through the USB  I would need a way around the USB.  Or am I missing something on this?

I do have an open service request with Freescale but I don't think they have seen it yet...  I just opened it in the last day or two.

Thanks for the help so far though...

JR

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello again John,

The file you want from www.pemicro.com is hcs08_hcs12_cfv1_firmware_updater.zip.
I think you will have to sign up for it then from home its:
Support
Documentation & Downloads
Apply Firmware update filter and press find matching downloads.
You should have two choices now one of which is the above file.

Download this and run it with demo plugged in, choose USB-ML-12

If this doesn't work then you will need some kind of inside info to reset your half updated BDM module so you can start from scratch. I don't know anything about this as I have only experienced possibly half a dozen successful firmware upgrades to my USB-ML-12 and DEMOQE board.

For this you will probably need P&E to assist you directly.
I am quite sure this has never been discussed on these forums before.

0 Kudos

JohnR
Contributor I
Hi Peg,

I thoght I would provide an update as to my situation with the DEMOQE128 installation problem.

The one suggestion that you made did help me sort out some of this issue.  I think there is a firmware problem on this board.

I also discussed this with both Freescale and P&E Micro through a service requests.  Freescale was most helpful though.  It turns out between CW 6.0 and P&E Micro, the drivers for the USB Multilink were loaded twice, and some of them in different locations on the hard drive.  So I removed the P&E Drivers (control panel) and removing CW 6.0 (also though control panel.)

I then turned off my computer to make sure I reset the USB controllers (Microsoft said that this was how to reset the controllers.  Boy, I'm learnning more about USB than I wanted to know!)

Freescale suggested loading CW 6.1 so I did.  After that I downloaded the latest DEMOQE Toolkit.  I then tried plugging the DEMOQE board into the USB and it sounded 3-quick tones or beeps when I did.  It did not look like it wanted to work so I did go through with a re-install of drivers, as this might have been some of the problem in the first place.

Ok, so I have two DEMOQE boards, but I held off using the second one since I was afraid that I goffed up the first.  At this point I felt that a fresh board would install so I tried it.  The second board to indeed install and a message said that the device was ready to be used.

So, I powered the board using the the USB port and got the RED LED to turn on.  Using the four pushbuttons sounded the four tones out of the buzzer, but two of the LEDs did not work (-sigh-).

So, at this point I plugged in the first board thinking that now I have a good working install and if there were no F/W problems, it should work.  Well it did not work.  So I do think there is problem with that board.

With all of that said, both of the boards that I have are DEMOQE REV A boards.  Which means that I am a little wary of trying Logic Anayzer again until I figure out the next step.  Should I or should I not update the F/W?  Ah, that's the question.

Thanks for your help thus far...

John
0 Kudos

JohnR
Contributor I
Other thoughts and clarification...

...I am restating that I did NOT go through witht he driver install on the first board.  I installed drivers using the second board only. 

Also, I am not suew what the three quick beeps mean, but it must mean something...

"...then tried plugging the DEMOQE board into the USB and it sounded 3-quick tones or beeps when I did.  It did not look like it wanted to work so I did NOT go through with a re-install of drivers, as this might have been some of the problem in the first place..."

John
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi John,

Glad you seem to be getting somewhere with this.

My DEMOQE says DEMOQE REV. B
This is on a very small white sticker located on the bottom side in the middle of the device socket above the two web addresses.
Looks like they changed the board and forgot to change the rev marking or the rev is some kind of different part loading.
I don't know what relevance this has between our units.
Don't know what the 3 beeps are either. You should just get the normal "bee bah" the same as when you plug any USB device into Windows.
Incidently my WinXP desktop has recently taken to being quiet upon plugging USB devices into it.
Everything works just no "bee-bah" This happens with my Palm PDA USB memory sticks and with the DEMOQG.

0 Kudos