Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TagWriter and TagInfo

clintongallaghe
Contributor II

TagWriter 3.5.47    2016-02-16
TagInfo   4.18.124 2016-03-21
Android 5.1

TagWriter: When I erase a Type 2 tag such as NTAG216 and attempt to use TagWriter to rewrite to the tag the TagWriter claims the tag type is not supported and will not rewrite.

TagInfo: please explain where a tag's unique serial number is reported.

I am developing a WWW SaaS and interested in discussion regarding how to identify a tag to the web server. I have considered generating a GUID and appending with Query String written to the tag but if each tag has a unique serial number can I capture that serial number using TagWriter with TagInfo? Capturing and reusing a tag's serial number is likely a more reliable way to ID the specific tag for storing ID in a database and using that ID as a permanent record for the tag.

Thank you for comments...
Clinton

7 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Clinton Gallagher:

Thank you for using our NFC community.

In regards to your questions:

1) You may need to format the tag after it is erased. The option is in the same Erase tags menu:

pastedImage_0.png

2) The tag UID is reported under the Tech tab in the application. See below an example:

pastedImage_2.png

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

aaron_wsk
Contributor I

@Jorge_Gonzalez  can i get your email address?i have some questions when using taginfo app

0 Kudos

clintongallaghe
Contributor II

Hello Jorge,

Been awhile since you helped me (us) understand TagInfo and TagWriter thank you but I do have another question that has been nagging at me.

When a tag is locked is the tag locked for the life of the tag? Regardless of what app encoded and locked the tag would you know if any locked tags have been hacked?

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Clinton Gallagher,

Actually when performed correctly by using the static and dynamic lock bytes, the locking of a NTAG21x tag to "Read-only" mode is irreversible and it cannot be hacked / written by any NFC device.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

clintongallaghe
Contributor II

Good. I wanted to confirm that.

0 Kudos

jimzou
Contributor I

Hello Jorge,

Could you let me know how can i get these APP?

I can't find a website to download these APPS in English version.

Thanks.

Jim Zou

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jim Zou,

These are Android applications (TagInfo and TagWriter). You can get them from Google Play, directly from your Android device or from the webpage:

NFC TagInfo by NXP - Android Apps on Google Play 

NFC TagWriter by NXP - Android Apps on Google Play 

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos