Starting with NXP RFID

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting with NXP RFID

johnzigrang
Contributor I

I am just getting started looking at the NXP options for RFID.

My project is to build a reader with 4 ANT to read/write 15693 and 14443 A labels.

I also have to get this through EU/CE testing as well.

So my questions will start with:

1.  Build the Reader or buy a module that is certified?

My qty is about 2000 readers a year.

2.  If use a module, looking for suggestions that have certification for EMC and RF.

3.  Reader chip suggestions.

I do have experience using the TI transceiver chips.

John Zigrang

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

akololli
Contributor I

Hi Everyone,

I'm also working on a reader project.  This reader needs to interact (read UID) of the following type of cards (TAGS):

ISO 14443 A and B

ISO 15693 

as a bonus, it would also be good to read HID 15693

This application will be used in the Transit industry, and I'm trying to build a compatible reader that can read these types of cards.  I'm interested in testing this project in development/prototype on Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  However, I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else has attempted to do this (same type of project) and if they've tried it with different microcontrollers than ARD and PI.

Thank You.

0 Kudos

johnzigrang
Contributor I

I have been looking at the data and still have some of the same question.

On EU, there is the newer RED standard that module and designs must meet to this requirement.

Is there a known good reference design that has passed the RED testing?

Is it better to build my own module and have it certified with a qty as high as 1000 units a year?

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

PN7150 can detect ISO/IEC 15693 protocol and ISO/IEC 14443-A among others. Please refer to chapter 2. General description of the following document: http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/PN7150.pdf

The OM5578 is an NFC plug and play solution for PN7150:

http://www.nxp.com/products/identification-and-security/nfc-and-reader-ics/nfc-controller-solutions/...

This development kit has the PN7150 shielded. The main purpose of the metal shield was to get the FCC modular compliancy, allowing user to inherit the certification in case of PN7150 module reuse.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ivan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos