cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding NFC range

hasmukhprajapat
Contributor I

Dear Team,
Our application is to detect and read-write the icode slix rfid tags using ISO-15693 protocol.
We are using CLRC663 reader for that.
As mentioned in datasheet, The detection range of ISO-15693 protocol is around 1 meter.
We are detecting the tags using clev664B blue board EVM kit using NXP reader library but 
we are not getting such high range.
Its range is around 13 cm after changing the gain to 55 dB.
So is it possible to get a range of 1 meter using EVM kit?

If yes, then what parameters should we change to get the high range?
Your quick reply would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

fred27murphy
Contributor II

13cm seems like a pretty good read range for NFC. If you're after 1m then perhaps you should be looking at a different technology.

0 Kudos

hasmukhprajapat
Contributor I

Hello Sir,

Thank you for response 

I understand your point we will improve passive element matching circuit. In our application we need to use both protocols 1) ISO-15693 protocol 2) ISO-14443B for Card detection. 

Kindly let me know what is maximum range we can achieve on  ISO-15693 protocol for Mifare RFID Tags using  CLRC663 EVM so, we get better are for design.

waiting for your reply 

0 Kudos

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The CLRC663 does support the ISO/IEC 14443B and the  ISO-15693 in a maximum range for the NFC Range limitation: up to 5-10 cm.

The SLRC610 only supports the ISO-15693 and a larger range.

I would recommend to see this webinars, it would help for your design process.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

hasmukhprajapat
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply.
We will study the webinar and let you know if we face any problem regarding the Antenna design.

0 Kudos

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Hope you are doing well. The limitation you mentioned is with the NFC Reader operating range so you won't be able to read the 1 meter with the CLRC663 evaluation kit. I would recommend to migrate to the SLRC610 NFC Reader as this is the ICODE dedicated. Both chips are fully pin compatible. I would recommend to read this Application Note to helps your migration to SLRC610.

Also I might suggest to read this Application Note, it could help you with the antenna design as if you will chance the IC of the board you will need to match the IC to the antenna is there is the chance that you need to change some passive elements of the matching circuit.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @nxf58474 ,

I am using the PNEV5190 which is more powerful reader . I would like to achieve 40-50 cm reading distance. Is this possible ? If yes i would like to have some guidance in this topic. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos