NTAG5 Android App

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTAG5 Android App

atching
Contributor II

Hi, Is it possible to get the source code for the NTAG 5 Explorer Android App. The App on the Google Play Store is not supported by most devices because it was designed for Android 6.0 which lost Google support last year. The source code for the dev kit does not seem to include the code for power harvesting on the NTAG5 Link. I am trying to build a NFC battery free sensor tag.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @atching 

Please check the following thread, maybe there is an answer what you want.

NTAG 5 - Demo App - NXP Community

BR

Kelly

0 Kudos

atching
Contributor II

@KellyLi I saw that post from before, but it doesn't provide the answer I was looking for. The source code at that link is not the same as the NTAG5 Explorer app as there is no way to configure power harvesting that I can see. I can't download the app from the Play Store as Google discontinued support for Android 6.0 last year, but I do see from previous demo videos that it supported configuring different voltage outputs.

0 Kudos

KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @atching 

Given the current situation, two recommendations are given to you:
1) Switch to a higher version of the phone and try to download it.
2) It is recommended that you use NTAG5_NFC_Cockpit, which can configure all the features of NTAG5, as follows.

KellyLi_0-1709272088111.png

BR

kelly

0 Kudos

atching
Contributor II

Sorry, to clarify the Google Play app was designed for an older version of Android (6.0) so it will not run on newer phones. I am able to update the code version provided from NXP's website in Android Studio (for anyone else with this problem you just need to run the update AGP tool), but the problem is that code base doesn't have the power harvesting code that the precompiled one on Google Play Store does.

NTAG 5 cockpit isn't really a solution because it requires a microcontroller to work since it is passing the data through the VCOM of the micro to the NTAG Link. My application doesn't use a microcontroller unfortunately which is why I was hoping for the Android code of the app found on the Google Play Store since it appears to have everything.

I think it was also mentioned in the previous forum thread that the Android code released on the website doesn't match the one you can download from Google. It would be good to know if it is possible to get that code or not.

0 Kudos

KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @atching 

sorry for the late reply. I see what you mean. So, I'm consulting with the internal team to see if there's an app for a higher version of Android or any update planning for this. But unfortunately, there is no. Currently, the App that runs on Android and iOS doesn't have the Energy Harvest feature. So, Say sorry to you for that. Please understand.

BR

kelly

0 Kudos

atching
Contributor II

I was able to modify the app to upgrade to the latest version of Android and enable the power harvesting so I should be ok. Thank you.

0 Kudos

KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @atching 

Ok, that's great news, thanks for your message.

BR

kelly

0 Kudos