cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICODE DNA freeze (No reply) until RF Off

psoto
Contributor I

Hello,

We use the ICODE DNA chip on inlays with our own RFID reader.

On some tags, sometime the chip doesn't reply on an addressed read single block command and after that, the chip seems to be frozen. We have to switch off / switch on the RF signal to return to nominal operation.

The freeze can also occur on a mutual authentication command.

This happens with several readers, several different environments and only on some chips.

Issue.png

Is someone experiments the same kind of issue with ICODE DNA?

What can be the root cause of a total freeze of the chip ?

Thank you for your help.

Patrick.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Patrick Soto,

Hope you are doing great as you may know the information regarding ICODE DNA is secured under NDA ( Non Disclosure Agreement ) this means that all the information, tools and support should be delivered using secured communication channels and only with customers with active NDA.  so we cannot discuss much of the features under NDA in this forum,  but  do you happen to have an NXP reader ? is it possible for you to use our examples in the library to interact with the ICODE DNA ?  to see  if the tag is having the problem or if it is the communication with your reader.

Have a great day !

BR

Jonathan 

0 Kudos

psoto
Contributor I

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your answer.

We are under NDA with NXP and we have all the documentation needed.

We don't use an NXP reader but this issue is seen on several different readers, based on different firmware and front-end. And the issue occurs on ISO15693 standard commands, so to me, any reader should work with this chip.

Since the first write on this thread, I discovered that if I push on the chip stuck on the inlay, the issue disappears. It seems linked to the sticking of the chip

However, to understanding well, what can be the root cause of the freeze of the chip in this case: Is it a serial impedance between chip and antenna which decrease the efficiency of the power supply and the voltage is close to the lower limit ?

Do you see another explanation ?

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Patrick I would confirm with the manufacturer of the tag, to see if the  materials being used in the tag might be  affecting the behavior of the tag, have you tried with other manufacturer tags ? or with other form factors ? 

'BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

John_G
Contributor I

Hello Patrick and Jonathan,

We are experiencing a similar problem and seeing around a 1.5% fallout. Were you seeing a similar fallout/defect rate? 

Were you able to root cause this to the tag manufacturer, material, or antenna tuning issue? Did you find a resolution?

Thank you,

John 

0 Kudos