Model Based Design Toolbox for MPC5744P can it be used for automotive safety critical applications

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Based Design Toolbox for MPC5744P can it be used for automotive safety critical applications

alimeraj
Contributor IV

Hi,

I have few questions:

1) The generated code is complaint to MIRSA standard?

2) The generated code is any ISO complaint?

3) can it be used is safety critical applications?

Any more information/documentation for MBDT generated code certification will be helpful.

Regards,

Ali 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello alimeraj‌,

Unfortunately the MBDT MPC5744P toolbox is older and does not generate MISRA C / ISO compliant code - it is not suited for safety critical applications.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos

alimeraj
Contributor IV

Hi Razvan,

thanks for coming back to my query.

My next question do you have a different MBDT for a different MCU that is compliant to the standards I mentioned above?

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi alimeraj‌,

Please allow me a few comments which i think will answer your main 3 questions:

1) The generated code is complaint to MIRSA standard?

We need to differentiate between 3 layers of generated code:

• front-end layer is the "User Application" that is developed using standard MathWorks Simulink blocks. For such use-cases the generated code is MISRA-C and ISO26262 and IEC61508 compliant (assured by MathWorks various toolboxes) 

MISRA C setup:

pastedImage_3.png

ISO/IEC Certification Kit: IEC Certification Kit - MATLAB & Simulink 

• back-end layer is the "Peripheral Driver" code that is typically reused from NXP SDK. Those drivers are only MISRA-C compliant. In same cases, for toolboxes releases prior to mid 2017 including MCP574xP 2.0.0 those drivers are hand-written and not compliant - that is why we are currently working on switching MPC families to SDK PA drivers as well.
  • glue up layer between Simulink Application interface and Peripheral Drivers code is implemented in TLC by our team, and once again is not MISRA compliant.

2) The generated code is any ISO complaint?

We - Model Based Design Team - do not provide a qualification kit for such purpose. Our main intentions are easy prototyping and to open up the NXP HW into the world of MathWorks products. Then using their offerings and additional toolboxes ISO 26262 Support in MATLAB and Simulink - Automotive Industry Standards - MATLAB & Simulink to allow users to pursue various options.

3) can it be used is safety critical applications?

Typically, when we talk about safety critical application we think about running application using lockstep systems. NXP offers such microprocessors and the most common ones are the MPC families. Is that what you mean by safety ?

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

alimeraj
Contributor IV

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the swift reply.

1) you mentioned that you guys working on switching MPC families to SDK PA drivers as well. so shall I expect a new version of Toolbox for MPC5744P with SDK PA drivers?

2) My question was regarding the use of toolbox to develop control algorithms for safety critical systems.

we are already using MPC5744P in our various products. the reason I am more interested in toolbox is that we want to develop some code for a very specific observer application in which we cant use our AUTOSAR based BSW.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ali, 

The MPC57xx 2019.R1 release is scheduled for February 18th, 2019

This release plans to support:

• MPC5741P, MPC5742P, MPC5743P, MPC5744P (*upd)
  • MPC5744B, MPC5745B, MPC5746B (*new)
  • MPC5744C, MPC5745C, MPC5746C, MPC5747C, MPC5748C (*new)
  • MPC5746G, MPC5747G, MPC5748G (*new)

All peripheral initialization code will be based on SDK drivers.

2) My question was regarding the use of toolbox to develop control algorithms for safety critical systems.

we are already using MPC5744P in our various products. the reason I am more interested in toolbox is that we want to develop some code for a very specific observer application in which we cant use our AUTOSAR based BSW.

If the control algorithm is using only standard Simulink blocks, then the code generated for that subsystem/atomic/reusable function will be compliant with various standards that MathWorks is supporting.

If you implement the control algorithm using the NXP AMMCLIB blocks then the code generated for that subsystem/atomic/reusable function will not be compliant with various standards except if you analyze it first by yourself. The AMMCLIB is MISRA-C 2004 compliant with exceptions.

If you build the entire application in Simulink (observer + drivers) then it will not be compliant with any standards.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

0 Kudos

alimeraj
Contributor IV

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for all the information.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos