MBDT on DEVKIT-MPC5748G with DEVKIT-COMM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBDT on DEVKIT-MPC5748G with DEVKIT-COMM?

Jump to solution
ranulf
Contributor IV

MBDT MPC57xx v 3.2.0 should work with DEVKIT-MPC5748G according to the release notes. But will MBDT work with (DEVKIT-MPC5748G + DEVKIT-COMM)?

I may need to make a CAN gateway that routes selected messages between 5 separate CAN channels. I would appreciate suggestions on how I might do this using MBDT.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @ranulf ,

The MPC57xx v 3.2.0 supports the MPC5748G controller so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the mentioned DEVKIT. When the support was added, we've tested the functionalities on the DEVKIT-MPC5748G revision B, the revision we had at that time.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work with the DEVIT-COMM board, this board uses the TJA1048, a dual CAN transceiver with no SPI connection, so no additional driver is needed. All you have to do is to check the schematics of both boards in order to assign the correct CANRX and CANTX pins for the DEVKIT with the COMM board on desired instances.

To program the board directly from Simulink, you have to use the RAppID bootloader. MBDT comes with the required RBF file for the MPC5748G which has to be flashed using the S32DS for Power Architecture. The procedure is similar to the one used for the MPC5777C except that for the MPC5748G there is no need to use an Alternative Algorithm selection in S32DS for flashing the RBF file.

Hope this helps,

Marius

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ranulf
Contributor IV

@mariuslucianand So far, It looks like I will be able to use these 2 boards as a 5 channel CAN gateway with all the coding done in Simulink with MBDT. With your guidance above, the setup went smoothly. I have briefly tested all 5 channels. Thanks! 

kodyw
Contributor I

We tried to test all 5 CAN channels (CAN0, CAN1, CAN2, CAN5, CAN7) for DEVKIT-MPC5748G with DEVKIT-COMM.  We could configure the CAN channel for a FCAN_Config block by selecting its CAN Bus number from 0 to 7. (see attached image004.png) However, when we configured the CAN channel for a FCAN_Send block, the FCAN_Send block only has CAN Bus number from 0 to 2. (see attached image005.png)  The same issue happened when we configured a FCAN_Receive block. (see attached image006.png)  As a result, we could not setup CAN5, CAN7 to transmit or receive CAN messages.

How can we setup FCAN_Send/FCAN_Receive block for CAN channels number greater than 2? Please help!

0 Kudos
kodyw
Contributor I
0 Kudos
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @ranulf ,

I am glad it works!

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @ranulf ,

The MPC57xx v 3.2.0 supports the MPC5748G controller so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the mentioned DEVKIT. When the support was added, we've tested the functionalities on the DEVKIT-MPC5748G revision B, the revision we had at that time.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work with the DEVIT-COMM board, this board uses the TJA1048, a dual CAN transceiver with no SPI connection, so no additional driver is needed. All you have to do is to check the schematics of both boards in order to assign the correct CANRX and CANTX pins for the DEVKIT with the COMM board on desired instances.

To program the board directly from Simulink, you have to use the RAppID bootloader. MBDT comes with the required RBF file for the MPC5748G which has to be flashed using the S32DS for Power Architecture. The procedure is similar to the one used for the MPC5777C except that for the MPC5748G there is no need to use an Alternative Algorithm selection in S32DS for flashing the RBF file.

Hope this helps,

Marius

mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I've replied here by mistake a response for another topic.

Marius

0 Kudos