Using SNMP communities

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SNMP communities

jesperevertsson
Contributor IV

Hi, I'm working on a product that requires SNMP and was happy to see that MQX was supporting it. Altough the more I've worked with it, it seems like it's not fully implemented yet. One example of this is communities. In other systems it's possible to set different access levels for different communities such as read or read/write. It's also possible to change the community names in the device during run time. However I can't find that any of this is possible in MQX 4.2.0. So then I wonder why communities even exist? Sure, it's possible to restrict access from users that doesn't have any of the community names, but it should aslo be possible to have communities with different access levels. Is this something that's going to be added in the near future or do you have any other ideas how to work around this without having to re-implement the entire SNMP-protocol?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jesper,

The Freescale MQX RTOS has SNMP v1/v2 support in the RTCS (Ethernet stack).

An example of it is in the following path once you download and install MQX4.2

C:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_2\rtcs\examples\snmp

Documentation at: C:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_2\doc\rtcs\MQXRTCSUG.pdf

Please search for "SNMP Agent".

The RTCS supports Agent only.

If you require SNMPv3, a third party package integrated with RTCS is available Embedded Access Inc.

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jesperevertsson
Contributor IV

This doesn't answer my question at all since my question was about the limited support for communities. But I managed to fix it by rewriting some of the MQX source code so that I now have communities working as they should

0 Kudos