Does anybody use Valgrind or any other source code checking tools with their MQX code?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody use Valgrind or any other source code checking tools with their MQX code?

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Folks,

I thought I would ask if anybody is using any automated source code checking tools (such as Valgrind) on their applications and any comments as to how well they work? 

I'm primarily interested in MQX, but I do some CF V1 apps as well, so I'm wondering if anybody has installed the tools under CodeWarrior. 

Thanx,

myke

4 Replies

Martin_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello myke,

Unfortunately I don't have experience with valgrind, but list below some tools that might be useful:

For static code analysis there exists Codan tool in CW for MCU 10.3:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/01/06/free-static-code-analysis-with-eclipse/

Right now the free tool is able to catch not that many problems ans some are rather basic. Still it can help.

For MQX we provide Task Aware Debug plugin (TAD) and MQX Runtime TAD. Description of the Runtime TAD can be found in the document in MQX installation directory:

c:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_0\doc\tools\cw\MQX_RuntimeTAD_getting_started.pdf

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Martin,

Thank you for replying with the pointer to Codan - that article describes a lot of what I am looking for.  I'll play around with Codan and see how it works for my needs. 

myke

0 Kudos

c0170
Senior Contributor III

Hello Myke Predko,

just a small addition, you did not specify if you want a memory debugging tool or a static analyzer. I haven't played with Valgrind much so far, but I would be interested to see the results for Cortex M4 with MQX. Though you mentioned, you have ColdFire, which is not supported by Valgrind, I believe.

TAD is your friend here which is available right away in MQX and supported IDEs.

Regards,

0xc0170

myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi Martin,

My product has moved to the Kinetis (k20). 

I'm interested in a static analyzer as I am happy using TAD for validating my memory usage.  I'm looking for a tool that will analyze my source code and find discrepancies/potential issues. 

myke

0 Kudos