MPC5744P internal flash programming failure (related to persistent NC ECC errors)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5744P internal flash programming failure (related to persistent NC ECC errors)

mmkino
Contributor I

Hello,

I am having trouble flashing the internal flash of the MPC5744 dev kit (p/n MPC5744-257DS) with the P&E micro multilink JTAG. It used to work perfectly but the flash programming started to fail at some point and has not recovered since. For information, I was developing code to check the results of the STCU2 BIST but I didn't do anything that could result in permanent memory ECC errors.

As a matter of fact, using a RAM-based application, I can check that no errors are reported by the STCU built-in tests:

STCU.ERR_STAT is 0 and STCU.MBEL and STCU.MBSL are 0x07FFFFFF

However I have an ERR bit set in the C55FMC.MCR (0x00008600) right at the _start label of the S32DS generated code.

I also have the MEMU.ERR_FLAG bits set for the SR_UCO, SR_UCE, F_UCO and F_UCE (0x00000A0A). 

MEMU.FLASH_UNCERR_STS value is 0x8000000

MEMU.FLASH_OFLW is 1

and reported address of the uncorrectable error MEMU.FLASH_UNCERR_ADDR is the beginning of the flash (0x00F98000).

Should I worry about the integrity of the internal flash component or am I missing some required error handling ? I wrote a MEMU handler based on "Example_MPC5744P_1b+2b_FLASH_ECC_error_by_UTEST_area_read" example to clear the errors then program the flash using the SDK flash driver but as soon as I try to erase the first 256k block, it looks like the whole RAM memory goes to 0 and I guess I get an IVOR1 exception because the PC gets to execute illegal opcode.

I can provide any info/sample that might be useful to clarify the current situation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies

davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you tried to use PROGPPCNEXUS programmer to erase the chip?

https://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089&productTab=1

0 Kudos

mmkino
Contributor I

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes, I have used the free version of the PROGPPCNEXUS  but the result is the same.

I remember starting having the programming issue with the S32DS flash programming when it has begun showing ONCE status register error. Again, note that this was working fine before. So I have downloaded the P&E programmer as suggested on some forums and used one of the slowest debug shift speed to be sure not to have the ONCE status register error.  I could go beyond the ONCE error but it loops forever trying to erase. Please find the output attached

BTW, I have seen in the advanced configuration an option to uncensor the device on reset. It is presently set to True and the password is 0x00000000. Should this be ON and is the password correct ?

0 Kudos

davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

davidtosenovjan_0-1622034892875.png

No, unless you play with censorship.

0 Kudos

mmkino
Contributor I

No, I haven't played with it.

All right, I have set the censorship to NO.

Is there anything else I could try to force the erase of the flash ?

0 Kudos

davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Could you show debugger screenshot of affected area? How much bytes you see broken?

0 Kudos