What's the difference between the SDK generated in MCUXpresso and the one from the SDK Builder site?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between the SDK generated in MCUXpresso and the one from the SDK Builder site?

Jump to solution
m4l490n
Contributor V

I would like to know what is the difference between the SDK I can configure and download from the MCUXpresso SDK Builder website and the one I can generate directly on MCUXpresso IDE by clicking the "Install New Plugin SDK" button?

This really confuses me because out of curiosity I just clicked the Install New Plugin SDK button and it seems that everything is ok, I mean, I don't have to go to the builder website to generate the SDK. I was able to generate a project and it seems that all the drivers are there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anonymous
Deactivated User

The difference is essentially this: From inside of MCUXpresso IDE you import newly generated SDK into the IDE as a plug-in into that IDE. So you cannot use your generated SDK outside of it.

If you generate your package in the builder website, you are to choose the toolchain for whatever IDE you want to use and then you import the package to that IDE manually. For ex. to use Visual Studio you should obviously use website builder and choose ARM GCC toolchain - it will create a project with cmake and you can then use Visual Studio.

Beside that , if importing inside MCUXpresso, I suggest to unzip the package so you will have freedom to use each file by cloning , copying to file system etc. (IDE help shows how to).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Deactivated User

The difference is essentially this: From inside of MCUXpresso IDE you import newly generated SDK into the IDE as a plug-in into that IDE. So you cannot use your generated SDK outside of it.

If you generate your package in the builder website, you are to choose the toolchain for whatever IDE you want to use and then you import the package to that IDE manually. For ex. to use Visual Studio you should obviously use website builder and choose ARM GCC toolchain - it will create a project with cmake and you can then use Visual Studio.

Beside that , if importing inside MCUXpresso, I suggest to unzip the package so you will have freedom to use each file by cloning , copying to file system etc. (IDE help shows how to).