Introducing eRPC

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing eRPC

Introducing eRPC

This tutorial is introducing the eRPC (embedded remote procedure call) open-source project.

The eRPC (Embedded Remote Procedure Call) is a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) system created by NXP. An RPC is a mechanism used to invoke a software routine on a remote system using a simple local function call. The remote system may be any CPU connected by an arbitrary communications channel: a server across a network, another CPU core in a multicore system, and so on. To the client, it is just like calling a function in a library built into the application. The only difference is any latency or unreliability introduced by the communications channel.

Important links: 

The eRPC is supporting multicore and multiprocessor types of applications. 

Where to find eRPC examples

• Plenty of eRPC multicore and multiprocessor examples can be found in NXP MCUXpressoSDK packages. Visit https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com to configure, build and download these packages.
    To get the board list with multicore support (eRPC included) use filtering based on Middleware and search for 'multicore' string. Once the selected package with the multicore middleware is downloaded, see
    <MCUXpressoSDK_install_dir>/boards/<board_name>/multicore_examples for eRPC multicore examples (RPMsg_Lite or Messaging Unit transports used) or
    <MCUXpressoSDK_install_dir>/boards/<board_name>/multiprocessor_examples for eRPC multiprocessor examples (UART or SPI transports used).

eRPC examples use the 'erpc_' name prefix.

• Another way of getting NXP MCUXpressoSDK eRPC multicore and multiprocessor examples is using the mcux-sdk Github repo. Follow the description how to use the West tool to clone and update the mcuxsdk repo in readme Overview section. Once done the armgcc eRPC examples can be found in
    mcuxsdk/examples/<board_name>/multicore_examples or in
    mcuxsdk/examples/<board_name>/multiprocessor_examples folders.

You can use the evkmimxrt1170 as the board_name for instance. Similar to MCUXpressoSDK packages the eRPC examples use the 'erpc_' name prefix.

Comments

Hi

Sorry if i am asking basic question.

I am trying to understand how to use erpcgen tool from NXP.

I successfully ran example demo , with reference : https://github.com/EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos

My next approach  was build erpcgen  and create my own output files using same erpc_matrix_multiply.erpc and run same demo again so i get familiar to use erpcgen tool.

i got output files but even though i am using same erpc_matrix_multiply.erpc my files different than example files

the changes are :

Output files in example demo says (erpc_matrix_multiply_server.h):

erpc_status_t erpcMatrixMultiply_shim(erpc::Codec * in, erpc::Codec * out, uint32_t sequence);

my files(erpc_matrix_multiply_server.h):
erpc_status_t erpcMatrixMultiply_shim(erpc::Codec * codec, uint32_t sequence);

why files are different , Am i missing any config ?

Do i need to manually edit erpc_matrix_multiply_server.h & erpc_matrix_multiply_server.cpp

Thank you in advance

Chandini

Hi and thanks for your comment. 
Example you mentioned is an older version than your erpcgen build. mareknovak also created his fork of official eRPC repository due to some minor changes which were not present in an official release at that time. If you click on eRPC reference from erpc-imx-demos repository from middleware folder, you will be redirect to his eRPC repository. You need build erpcgen from that version. We want update demo in the future. 

Hope i helped you. If you have any concerns don't hesitate and ask us. 

Hi Dusan

I was using  same eRPC library one which u refereed 

Steps i followed are below:

Clone  erpc-imx-demos including sub module(which clone eRPC GitHub - MarekNovakNXP/erpc at 232afb209f0a0cfceb25a1be11879f7d1934e065  )

1. git clone --recursive https://github.com/EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos.git

2. go to erpc-imx-demos/middleware/erpc folder and build erpcgen like this:

• installed required packages flex/bison and boost
  • make eprc
  • make eprcgen
  • sudo make install

successfully got erpcgen 

3. Tried create my own output files using same erpc_matrix_multiply.erpc like this :

• erpcgen -I erpc-imx-demos/MCU/example_erpc/service -o test/erpc-imx-demos/MCU/example_erpc/service erpc_matrix_multiply.erpc

successfully got below files:

erpc_matrix_multiply.h

erpc_matrix_multiply_server.cpp

erpc_matrix_multiply_server.h

erpc_matrix_multiply_client.cpp

4. Tried to build  MCU/example_erpc/build/armgcc/imx7d_sdb_m4/build_all.sh

failed with error :

/home/basavarajuc/test/erpc-imx-demos/MCU/example_erpc/service/erpc_matrix_multiply_server.cpp: In function 'void* create_MatrixMultiplyService_service()':
/home/basavarajuc/test/erpc-imx-demos/MCU/example_erpc/service/erpc_matrix_multiply_server.cpp:168:56: error: invalid new-expression of abstract class type 'MatrixMultiplyService_service'
return new (nothrow) MatrixMultiplyService_service();

Sorry for asking again , just to clarify my understanding .

1.if i am using eRPC library from GitHub - MarekNovakNXP/erpc at 232afb209f0a0cfceb25a1be11879f7d1934e065 then Do i need to update demo ? to run demo successfully 

2. Could you please tell me  output files from erpc-imx-demos/MCU/example_erpc/service at master · EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos · GitHub  are generated by which erpcgen version ?

So that i can use old erpcgen shortly to create my own files 

Thanks a lot . and sorry for disturbance 

Chandini

Hi thanks for you interest. Then it looks like the erpc generated files were generated with different erpcgen then on commit Marek provided (our mistake). Best solution looks like we need updated that demo with latests stable erpc and erpcgen version. You can try this from master branch GitHub - EmbeddedRPC/erpc: Embedded RPC (and there is erpcgen prebuilt 1.4.0). But i don't know how much changes you need to do. Or you can wait for our update.

mareknovak

Could you please tell me , when are you going to update ? 

Hi, not sooner than tomorrow. But i can't promise that it will be tomorrow. My colleague mareknovak is not in work today. But it should be soon.

Hi Dusan

I did fix and now i got MCU demo working properly ... Thanks for pointing out me a stable version ..

Could you please tell me How to generate python code using erpcgen tool ..  ?

Thank you

Chandini

That's cool, i can continue to work in the same stable version until update . 

with couples of fixes my MCU demo build and run properly now ..Thanks for your information

Hi, great work :smileywink: If you want you can create pull request for imx demo repository to fix it. mareknovak can review it and merge it to the repository.

To generate python code: As other application you can do in command line "erpcgen --help (-h should work too)".

python -gpy idl_file -> gpy means generate python.

Thank you Dusan :smileyhappy:. once i got my demo working , i will create pull request ..

Thanks again for your replay , i got python files . i will run demo and come back to u shortly .

Finally i got it working , thank a lot for you help :smileyhappy: Dusan

sorry i could not find attach option to attach my patch . so pasted below.

From 7a5b152524a3c82b5bced4a72ed396f21860b666 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001

Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 11:33:05 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] fix to run eRPC_demo

---
erpc_c/infra/transport.h | 4 +-
erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.cpp | 36 ++++-
erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.h | 2 +-
erpc_c/setup/erpc_setup_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote.cpp | 54 +++++++
erpc_c/setup/erpc_transport_setup.h | 18 ++-
erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.cpp | 158 ++++++++++++++++++
erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h | 177 +++++++++++++++++++++
erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_rtos_transport.h | 147 +++++++++++++++++
erpc_python/erpc/transport.py | 21 +++
9 files changed, 602 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 erpc_c/setup/erpc_setup_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote.cpp
create mode 100644 erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.cpp
create mode 100644 erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h
create mode 100644 erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_rtos_transport.h

diff --git a/erpc_c/infra/transport.h b/erpc_c/infra/transport.h
index eb7ec71..fd4862a 100644
--- a/erpc_c/infra/transport.h
+++ b/erpc_c/infra/transport.h
@@ -48,7 +48,7 @@
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

namespace erpc {
-
+class MessageBuffer;
/*!
* @brief Abstract interface for transport layer.
@@ -89,7 +89,7 @@ public:
* @return based on send implementation.
*/
- virtual erpc_status_t send(MessageBuffer *message) = 0;
+ virtual erpc_status_t send(const MessageBuffer *message) = 0;

/*!
* @brief Poll for an incoming message.
diff --git a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.cpp b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.cpp
index 51fa799..5cd4346 100644
--- a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.cpp
+++ b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.cpp
@@ -33,8 +33,10 @@
#include "basic_codec.h"
#include "manually_constructed.h"
#include "simple_server.h"
-#include <assert.h>
+#include "message_buffer.h"
+#include "erpc_config_internal.h"
#include <new>
+#include <assert.h>

#if !(__embedded_cplusplus)
using namespace std;
@@ -43,6 +45,29 @@ using namespace std;
using namespace erpc;

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
+// Classes
+////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
+
+class BasicMessageBufferFactory : public MessageBufferFactory
+{
+public:
+ virtual MessageBuffer create()
+ {
+ uint8_t *buf = new (nothrow) uint8_t[ERPC_DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE];
+ return MessageBuffer(buf, ERPC_DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE);
+ }
+
+ virtual void dispose(MessageBuffer *buf)
+ {
+ assert(buf);
+ if (*buf)
+ {
+ delete[] buf->get();
+ }
+ }
+};
+
+////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Variables

@@ -50,29 +75,32 @@ using namespace erpc;
static ManuallyConstructed<SimpleServer> s_server;
SimpleServer *g_server;

+static ManuallyConstructed<BasicMessageBufferFactory> s_msgFactory;
static ManuallyConstructed<BasicCodecFactory> s_codecFactory;

// Code

-void erpc_server_init(erpc_transport_t transport, erpc_mbf_t message_buffer_factory)
+void erpc_server_init(erpc_transport_t transport)
{
// Init factories.
+ s_msgFactory.construct();
s_codecFactory.construct();

// Init server with the provided transport.
s_server.construct();
s_server->setTransport(reinterpret_cast<Transport *>(transport));
+ s_server->setMessageBufferFactory(s_msgFactory);
s_server->setCodecFactory(s_codecFactory);
- s_server->setMessageBufferFactory(reinterpret_cast<MessageBufferFactory *>(message_buffer_factory));
g_server = s_server;
}
-
void erpc_server_deinit()
{
+ s_msgFactory.destroy();
s_codecFactory.destroy();
s_server.destroy();
+
}

void erpc_add_service_to_server(void *service)
diff --git a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.h b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.h
index 8e6a6ef..e4e9eaa 100644
--- a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.h
+++ b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_server_setup.h
@@ -60,7 +60,7 @@ extern "C" {
* This function initializes server with all components necessary for running server.
*/
-void erpc_server_init(erpc_transport_t transport, erpc_mbf_t message_buffer_factory);
+void erpc_server_init(erpc_transport_t transport);

/*!
* @brief This function de-initializes server.
diff --git a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_setup_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote.cpp b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_setup_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote.cpp
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..b480d42
--- /dev/null
+++ b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_setup_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote.cpp
@@ -0,0 +1,54 @@
+ /*
+ * Copyright (c) 2014-2016, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
+ *
+ * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
+ * are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
+ *
+ * o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list
+ * of conditions and the following disclaimer.
+ *
+ * o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this
+ * list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
+ * other materials provided with the distribution.
+ *
+ * o Neither the name of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. nor the names of its
+ * contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
+ * software without specific prior written permission.
+ *
+ * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
+ * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
+ * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
+ * DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
+ * ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
+ * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
+ * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
+ * ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
+ * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
+ * SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
+ */
+
+#include "manually_constructed.h"
+#include "rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h"
+#include "erpc_transport_setup.h"
+
+using namespace erpc;
+
+// Variables
+
+static ManuallyConstructed<RPMsgRTOSTransport> s_transport;
+
+// Code
+
+erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote_init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, void (*ready_cb)(void), bool send_nameservice)
+{
+ s_transport.construct();
+ s_transport->init(src_addr, dst_addr, start_address, rpmsg_link_id, ready_cb, send_nameservice);
+ return reinterpret_cast<erpc_transport_t>(s_transport.get());
+}
+
+
diff --git a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_transport_setup.h b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_transport_setup.h
index 798d92f..6c3959e 100644
--- a/erpc_c/setup/erpc_transport_setup.h
+++ b/erpc_c/setup/erpc_transport_setup.h
@@ -34,6 +34,7 @@

#include "erpc_version.h"
#include <stdint.h>
+#include <stdbool.h>

/*!
* @addtogroup transport_setup
@@ -48,7 +49,7 @@
//! @brief Opaque transport object type.
typedef struct ErpcTransport *erpc_transport_t;
//! @brief Ready callback object type for RPMsg-Lite transport.
-typedef void (*rpmsg_ready_cb)(void);
+//typedef void (*rpmsg_ready_cb)(void);

// API
@@ -106,21 +107,21 @@ erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_master_init(unsigned long src_addr,
/*!
* @brief Create an RPMsg-Lite zero copy transport.
*/
-erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_zc_master_init(unsigned long src_addr,
- unsigned long dst_addr,
- int rpmsg_link_id);
+//erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_zc_master_init(unsigned long src_addr,
+// unsigned long dst_addr,
+// int rpmsg_link_id);

/*!
* @brief Create an RPMsg-Lite transport.
*/
erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_remote_init(
- unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, rpmsg_ready_cb ready);
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, void (*ready_cb)(void), bool send_nameservice);

/*!
* @brief Create an RPMsg-Lite zero copy transport.
*/
-erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_zc_remote_init(
- unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, rpmsg_ready_cb ready);
+//erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_zc_remote_init(
+// unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, rpmsg_ready_cb ready);

/*!
* @brief Create an RPMsg-Lite RTOS transport.
@@ -133,7 +134,8 @@ erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_rtos_master_init(unsigned long src_ad
* @brief Create an RPMsg-Lite RTOS transport.
*/
erpc_transport_t erpc_transport_rpmsg_lite_rtos_remote_init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *start_address, int rpmsg_link_id, void (*ready_cb)(void), bool send_nameservice);
+

//@}

diff --git a/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.cpp b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.cpp
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..e04ae91
--- /dev/null
+++ b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.cpp
@@ -0,0 +1,158 @@
+/*
+ * Copyright (c) 2015, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
+ *
+ * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
+ *
+ * o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list
+ *
+ * o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this
+ *
+ *
+ * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
+ * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
+ * DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
+ * ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
+ * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
+ * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
+ * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
+ */
+
+#include "rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h"
+#include <cassert>
+
+#if !(__embedded_cplusplus)
+using namespace std;
+#endif
+
+using namespace erpc;
+
+// Variables
+uint8_t RPMsgRTOSTransport::s_initialized = 0;
+struct rpmsg_lite_instance *RPMsgRTOSTransport::s_rpmsg;
+
+// Code
+
+RPMsgRTOSTransport::RPMsgRTOSTransport()
+: Transport()
+, m_dst_addr(0)
+{
+}
+
+RPMsgRTOSTransport::~RPMsgRTOSTransport()
+{
+ rpmsg_lite_deinit(s_rpmsg);
+ s_initialized = 0;
+}
+
+erpc_status_t RPMsgRTOSTransport::init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *base_address, unsigned long length, int rpmsg_link_id)
+{
+ if (!s_initialized)
+ {
+ s_rpmsg = rpmsg_lite_master_init(base_address, length, rpmsg_link_id, RL_NO_FLAGS);
+ s_initialized = 1;
+ }
+
+ m_rpmsg_queue = rpmsg_queue_create(s_rpmsg);
+ m_rpmsg_ept = rpmsg_lite_create_ept(s_rpmsg, src_addr, rpmsg_queue_rx_cb, m_rpmsg_queue);
+
+ m_dst_addr = dst_addr;
+ return m_rpmsg_ept == RL_NULL ? kErpcStatus_InitFailed : kErpcStatus_Success;
+}
+
+erpc_status_t RPMsgRTOSTransport::init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *base_address, int rpmsg_link_id, void (*ready_cb)(void), bool send_nameservice)
+{
+ if (!s_initialized)
+ {
+ s_rpmsg = rpmsg_lite_remote_init(base_address, rpmsg_link_id, RL_NO_FLAGS);
+
+ /* Signal the other core we are ready */
+ if (ready_cb != NULL)
+ {
+ ready_cb();
+ }
+
+ while (!rpmsg_lite_is_link_up(s_rpmsg))
+ {
+ }
+
+ s_initialized = 1;
+ }
+
+ m_rpmsg_queue = rpmsg_queue_create(s_rpmsg);
+ m_rpmsg_ept = rpmsg_lite_create_ept(s_rpmsg, src_addr, rpmsg_queue_rx_cb, m_rpmsg_queue);
+
+ if(send_nameservice)
+ {
+ rpmsg_ns_announce(s_rpmsg, m_rpmsg_ept,
+ "rpmsg-openamp-demo-channel",
+ 0);
+ }
+
+ m_dst_addr = dst_addr;
+ return m_rpmsg_ept == RL_NULL ? kErpcStatus_InitFailed : kErpcStatus_Success;
+}
+
+erpc_status_t RPMsgRTOSTransport::receive(MessageBuffer *message)
+{
+ int ret_val = rpmsg_queue_recv(s_rpmsg, m_rpmsg_queue, &m_dst_addr, (char *)message->get(), kRpmsgMessageBufferSize,
+ NULL, RL_BLOCK);
+ return ret_val != RL_SUCCESS ? kErpcStatus_ReceiveFailed : kErpcStatus_Success;
+}
+
+erpc_status_t RPMsgRTOSTransport::send(const MessageBuffer *message)
+{
+ int ret_val =
+ rpmsg_lite_send(s_rpmsg, m_rpmsg_ept, m_dst_addr, (char *)message->get(), message->getUsed(), RL_BLOCK);
+ return ret_val != RL_SUCCESS ? kErpcStatus_SendFailed : kErpcStatus_Success;
+}
+
+MessageBuffer RPMsgMessageBufferFactory::create()
+{
+ uint8_t idx = 0;
+ while (((m_freeBufferBitmap & idx) == 0) && (idx < kInitCountMessageBuffers))
+ {
+ idx++;
+ }
+
+ assert(idx < kInitCountMessageBuffers);
+
+ m_freeBufferBitmap &= ~(1 << idx);
+
+ uint8_t *buf;
+ buf = m_buffers[idx];
+
+ assert(NULL != buf);
+ return MessageBuffer(buf, kRpmsgMessageBufferSize);
+}
+
+void RPMsgMessageBufferFactory::dispose(MessageBuffer *buf)
+{
+ assert(buf);
+ uint8_t *tmp = buf->get();
+
+ if (tmp)
+ {
+ uint8_t idx = 0;
+ while ((tmp != m_buffers[idx]) && (idx < kInitCountMessageBuffers))
+ {
+ ++idx;
+ }
+ m_freeBufferBitmap |= 1 << idx;
+ }
+}
diff --git a/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..f1aec8a
--- /dev/null
+++ b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport.h
@@ -0,0 +1,177 @@
+/*
+ * Copyright (c) 2015-2016, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ */
+
+#ifndef _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_LITE_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
+#define _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_LITE_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
+
+#include "transport.h"
+#include "rpmsg_lite.h"
+#include "rpmsg_queue.h"
+#include "rpmsg_ns.h"
+
+/*!
+ * @addtogroup rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport
+ * @{
+ * @file
+ */
+
+// Definitions
+
+enum
+{
+ kRpmsgMessageBufferSize = RPMSG_BUFFER_SIZE,
+ kInitCountMessageBuffers = 2,
+};
+
+// Classes
+
+namespace erpc
+{
+/*!
+ * @brief Transport that uses RPMsg RTOS API for interprocessor messaging.
+ *
+ * @ingroup rpmsg_lite_rtos_transport
+ */
+class RPMsgRTOSTransport : public Transport
+{
+public:
+ /*!
+ * @brief Constructor.
+ *
+ * This function initializes object attributes.
+ */
+ RPMsgRTOSTransport();
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief RPMsgRTOSTransport destructor
+ */
+ virtual ~RPMsgRTOSTransport();
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function call RPMsg rtos init function - as RPMsg master
+ *
+ * @param[in] src_addr Source address.
+ * @param[in] dst_addr Destination address.
+ * @param[in] base_address RPMsg base address in the shared memory.
+ * @param[in] length RPMsg shared memory region length.
+ * @param[in] rpmsg_link_id Selection between what cores the communication will occur.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success When rpmsg init function was executed successfully.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_InitFailed When rpmsg init function wasn't executed successfully.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *base_address, unsigned long length, int rpmsg_link_id);
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function call RPMsg rtos init function - as RPMsg remote
+ *
+ * @param[in] src_addr Source address.
+ * @param[in] dst_addr Destination address.
+ * @param[in] base_address RPMsg base address in the shared memory.
+ * @param[in] rpmsg_link_id Selection between what cores the communication will occur.
+ * @param[in] ready_cb Callback called after RPMsg init is done and the core is ready.
+ * @param[in] send_nameservice If true, RPMsg master notified by nameservice.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success When rpmsg init function was executed successfully.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_InitFailed When rpmsg init function wasn't executed successfully.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t init(
+ unsigned long src_addr, unsigned long dst_addr, void *base_address, int rpmsg_link_id, void (*ready_cb)(void), bool send_nameservice);
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief Store incoming message to message buffer.
+ *
+ * In loop while no message come.
+ *
+ * @param[in] message Message buffer, to which will be stored incoming message.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_ReceiveFailed Failed to receive message buffer.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success Successfully received all data.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t receive(MessageBuffer *message);
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief Function to send prepared message.
+ *
+ * @param[in] message Pass message buffer to send.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_SendFailed Failed to send message buffer.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success Successfully sent all data.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t send(const MessageBuffer *message);
+
+protected:
+ /* Remote device */
+ struct remote_device *m_rdev; /*!< Device which represent the second core. */
+ struct rpmsg_channel *m_app_rp_chnl; /*!< Represent connection between two device (two cores). */
+ unsigned long m_dst_addr; /*!< Destination address used by rpmsg. */
+ rpmsg_queue_handle m_rpmsg_queue; /*!< Handle of RPMsg queue. */
+ struct rpmsg_lite_endpoint *m_rpmsg_ept; /*!< Pointer to RPMsg Lite Endpoint structure. */
+
+ static struct rpmsg_lite_instance *s_rpmsg; /*!< Pointer to instance of RPMSG lite. */
+ static uint8_t s_initialized; /*!< Represent information if the rpmsg-lite was initialized. */
+};
+
+class RPMsgMessageBufferFactory : public MessageBufferFactory
+{
+ uint8_t m_freeBufferBitmap;
+ uint8_t m_buffers[kInitCountMessageBuffers][kRpmsgMessageBufferSize];
+
+public:
+ /*!
+ * @brief Constructor.
+ */
+ RPMsgMessageBufferFactory()
+ : m_freeBufferBitmap(0xFF)
+ {
+ }
+ /*!
+ * @brief RPMsgMessageBufferFactory destructor
+ */
+ virtual ~RPMsgMessageBufferFactory() {}
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function create message buffer used for communication between devices.
+ */
+ virtual MessageBuffer create();
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function dispose message buffer used for communication between devices.
+ */
+ virtual void dispose(MessageBuffer *buf);
+};
+
+} // namespace erpc
+
+/*! @} */
+
+#endif // _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_LITE_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
diff --git a/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_rtos_transport.h b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_rtos_transport.h
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..ad1d229
--- /dev/null
+++ b/erpc_c/transports/rpmsg_rtos_transport.h
@@ -0,0 +1,147 @@
+/*
+ * Copyright (c) 2015, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ *
+ */
+
+#ifndef _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
+#define _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
+
+#include "transport.h"
+
+extern "C" {
+#include "rpmsg.h"
+#include "rpmsg_rtos.h"
+#include "rpmsg.h"
+}
+
+/*!
+ * @addtogroup rpmsg_rtos_transport
+ * @{
+ * @file
+ */
+
+// Definitions
+
+enum
+{
+ kRpmsgMessageBufferSize = RPMSG_BUFFER_SIZE,
+};
+
+// Classes
+
+namespace erpc
+{
+/*!
+ * @brief Transport that uses RPMsg RTOS API for interprocessor messaging.
+ *
+ * @ingroup rpmsg_rtos_transport
+ */
+class RPMsgRTOSTransport : public Transport
+{
+public:
+ /*!
+ * @brief Constructor.
+ *
+ * This function initializes object attributes.
+ */
+ RPMsgRTOSTransport();
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief RPMsgRTOSTransport destructor
+ */
+ virtual ~RPMsgRTOSTransport();
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function call rpmsg rtos init function.
+ *
+ * @param[in] dev_id Device id number.
+ * @param[in] role Device role number.
+ *
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t init(int dev_id, int role);
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief Store incoming message to message buffer.
+ *
+ * In loop while no message come.
+ *
+ * @param[in] message Message buffer, to which will be stored incoming message.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_ReceiveFailed Failed to receive message buffer.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success Successfully received all data.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t receive(MessageBuffer *message);
+
+ /*!
+ * @brief Function to send prepared message.
+ *
+ * @param[in] message Pass message buffer to send.
+ *
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_SendFailed Failed to send message buffer.
+ * @retval kErpcStatus_Success Successfully sent all data.
+ */
+ virtual erpc_status_t send(const MessageBuffer *message);
+
+protected:
+ /* Remote device */
+ static struct remote_device *m_rdev; /*!< Device which represent the second core. */
+ static struct rpmsg_channel *m_app_rp_chnl; /*!< Represent connection between two device (two cores). */
+};
+
+class RPMsgMessageBufferFactory : public MessageBufferFactory
+{
+public:
+ /*!
+ * @brief Constructor.
+ */
+ RPMsgMessageBufferFactory() {}
+ /*!
+ * @brief RPMsgMessageBufferFactory destructor
+ */
+ virtual ~RPMsgMessageBufferFactory() {}
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function create message buffer used for communication between devices.
+ */
+ virtual MessageBuffer create();
+ /*!
+ * @brief This function dispose message buffer used for communication between devices.
+ */
+ virtual void dispose(MessageBuffer *buf);
+};
+
+} // namespace erpc
+
+/*! @} */
+
+#endif // _EMBEDDED_RPC__RPMSG_RTOS_TRANSPORT_H_
diff --git a/erpc_python/erpc/transport.py b/erpc_python/erpc/transport.py
index 0765e9f..c335943 100644
--- a/erpc_python/erpc/transport.py
+++ b/erpc_python/erpc/transport.py
@@ -31,6 +31,8 @@

import struct
import serial
+from rpmsg.sysfs import RpmsgEndpoint
+import time
import socket
import threading
from .crc16 import crc16
@@ -107,6 +109,25 @@ class SerialTransport(FramedTransport):
class ConnectionClosed(Exception):
pass

+class RpmsgTransport(Transport):
+ def __init__(self):
+ self.ept = RpmsgEndpoint(
+ RpmsgEndpoint.rpmsg_openamp_channel,
+ RpmsgEndpoint.LOCAL_DEFAULT_ADDRESS,
+ RpmsgEndpoint.Types.DATAGRAM)
+
+ def send(self, message):
+ self.ept.send(message, RpmsgEndpoint.REMOTE_DEFAULT_ADDRESS)
+
+ def receive(self):
+ while True:
+ ret = self.ept.recv(2048)
+ if len(ret[1]) != 0:
+ return ret[1]
+ else:
+ time.sleep(0.001)
+ return ret[1]
+
class TCPTransport(FramedTransport):
def __init__(self, host, port, isServer):
super(TCPTransport, self).__init__()
--

Hi Dusan

Could you please tell me , do u have any client application c example instead of python .? or Do you guys are planning to write one ?it will be so useful and helpful, if you have one already.

Thank you in advance

Chandini

Hi, we don't have currently example on github repository. But we have C(c++) test there. If you are familiar with Linux or Mac you can use that as a example. Other options are as described above:

1. Download sdk for supported board -> multicore/multiprocessor c/python examples.

2. Read this article: Getting Started · EmbeddedRPC/erpc Wiki · GitHub 

Hi Chandini Indavara Basavaraju,

I have just updated the GitHub - EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos: eRPC demos for i.MX devices  repository to use eRPC 1.4.0 and RPMSg-Lite 1.1.0.
You can download a pre-built erpcgen application, which is used for code generation here: Release v1.4 · EmbeddedRPC/erpc · GitHub  in the downloads section, just choose your architecture.
Then you invoke it like this: ./erpcgen -gpy nameOfInterfaceDefinitionLanguageFile.erpc, this will generate Python serialization and deserialization shim code for you. If you omit -gpy or specify -gc, you will get C shim code.
The ser/des shim code was also update in the latest commit in the erpc-imx-demos repository, so feel free to use it.

Feel free to submit your changes in form of a pull-request,
Regards and thank you for using eRPC & RPMsg-Lite!
Marek

Thank you for replay Dusan

that was the information i was looking for, i have created C wrapper for TCP  , after couple of fixes in erpc,  it works fine .

My next step is to replace TCP layer with rpmsg .

Thank you again

Chandini

I am happy that you are progressing independently with your issue (for us it means it is not too much complicated for developers). Also mareknovak already updated his imx demo application inside the repository as he mentioned in few comments above. Your next step can be used that version because it is using new rpc features :smileywink:

Hi Dusan ,

thank you for letting me know about update.

I thiink now i am ok with erpc what i have shortly , once i got rpmsg Client application working then i can update erpc version as well.

I was started looking rpmsg-lite , that got M4 platform files .

i wonder do have anything for A7 platform ? or any information will be so helpful. my main aim is to get Client  Application using C with RPMSg as Transport layer

Thank you

Chandini

Hi, i am not sure if we have what you need (c transport for Linux side). But it should be easy to create new one. You can read and write from/to /dev/ttyRPMSG (if it is present in system).

for example:

init can looks like: int fd = open("/dev/ttyRPMSG", O_RDWR);

send : write(fd, buffer, buffer_size);

read: size_t size = read(fd, buffer, expected size);

mareknovak can brings more sun into this issue.

Hi Dusan , Marek

What i am planning :

use rpmsg-lite on both M4(freertos) and A7(Linux)

What i need:
RPMSG C warrper (under erpc_c/setup) which can be use on both M4 and A7 side
RPMSG Transport Layer (under erpc_c/transports) which can be use on both M4 and A7 side

Questions i have:

Could please tell me , Do you have any transport layer for that ?

or

Do we need to refer rpmsg-python and write similar like that ? 

Any suggestions will be so helpful

Thank you guys

Chandini

Hi, i understand you. 

You need create new one (and with pull request on github you can add it to our repository if you want).

On Linux side you can use /dev/ttyRPMSG (if it is present in system).

for example create new transport here erpc_c/transports with:

init can looks like: int fd = open("/dev/ttyRPMSG", O_RDWR);

send : write(fd, buffer, buffer_size);

read: size_t size = read(fd, buffer, expected size);

If there is no device named like this, you can be inspired from python code. RPMSG is not my cup of tea. I don't know how it should be used on Linux. I will forward your question to Marek.

Hi Marek

Some how i have missed your message , sorry for that

thanks a lot:smileyhappy: . i will try your new version soon.

Could you please answer my last question regarding RPMSG transport layer ?

Thank you 

Chandini

Hi Chandini Indavara Basavaraju,

RPMSg-Lite is implementation of RPMsg protocol and is intended only for the M4 side running FreeRTOS or baremetal.
On the Linux/A7 side, you should be fine with the RPMsg implementation in kernel. (like here: GitHub - EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos: eRPC demos for i.MX devices  )

Or are you planning to run FreeRTOS on both M4 and A7 cores? In that case it would work, but this is not a standard use-case. It would require you to create a porting layer for the A core and to make FreeRTOS run there. 

I hope this gives you some direction,
Marek

Hi Marek

Thank you for your replay , it cleared few of my doubts.

We are not planning to use freeRTOS on both side.

Our plan is

M4- FreeRTOS ----This we have it in your Demo

A7-Linux -----Your Demo got python code , to make use of kernel RPMSG implemenation

All we need is instead of python either C or C++.

I think  we can port  python code to C or C++ , easily right ?

Thank you

Chandini

Yes, you are right.
All the Python does are just IO operations on the files (read/write). This is doable in any language, including C/C++.
Python was selected to show how it can be done due to its popularity in Linux user-space, but you can certainly port it to C.
I think we are on the same wavelenght now,

Good luck!
Regards,
Marek

Hi Marek

I have question again .

Currently my working status  :

• i got RpmsgEndpoint class in c++
  • I am working on how to make my client application working now.

Python  example.py in erpc-imx-demos/MPU/example_erpc at master · EmbeddedRPC/erpc-imx-demos · GitHub  call  RpmsgTransport which inherited from Transport class.

Question i have is , shall i use transport.h which is inside /erpc-imx-demos/middleware/erpc/erpc_c/infra  to make my application work.

So that i can create my RpmsgTransport class and call it my client application .

Am i thinking correctly ? 

Thank you in advance

Chandini

Hi Chandini. You are right. That are correct steps. You need create your class which is inheriting class from transport.h

Thanks a lot Dusan for quick replay:smileyhappy: , i will continue in the same path then and come back to u shortly . 

You are welcome. You can get inspirations in /erpc-imx-demos/middleware/erpc/transport/ folder. There is several transports.

Dusan , Marek

Ya i am referring those files as well , but

i am using trasport.h to create my transport layer. but facing argument miss-match  problem

• send and receive functions in transport.h , take Messagebuffer as argument,

virtual erpc_status_t receive(MessageBuffer *message) = 0;

virtual erpc_status_t send(MessageBuffer *message) = 0;

• As per example.py i have created my RpmsgEndpoint class which need below arguments

RpmsgEndpoint::receive(int maxlen)

RpmsgEndpoint::send(char *buffer,int dst)

As per my understanding, we are just need to read and write /dev/rpmsg_ept1024.1 device from Linux .

So i think instead of using transport.h , i think should i need to create my own transport.h version ,?

Thank you guys

Chandini

Hi chanidi, well you need do it in diferent way :/ You have to use transport.h. It will not work if you will not use that. 
Maybe you can use ioctl commands as i mentioned above:

erpc_status_t receive(MessageBuffer *message)
{int fd = open("/dev/rpmsg_ept1024.1", O_RDWR);}

send :erpc_status_t send(MessageBuffer *message) { write(fd, message->getBuffer(), message->getUsed())};

read: erpc_status_t receive(MessageBuffer *message){size_t size = read(fd, message->getBuffer(), 500);
message->setUsed(size)};

novakma7 Can you confirm steps?

Hi Dusan

Thank you for your replay :

write(fd, message->getBuffer(), message->getUsed()):

I can see getused function in  erpc/message_buffer.h at 9e18d069aeae19a6e80a5e8783903bc63bd9b567 · EmbeddedRPC/erpc · GitHub  but could not find getbuffer function.

I think i have to use below function to get my buffer ? is that right ?

/*!
* @brief This function returns pointer to buffer to read/write.
* @return Pointer to buffer to read/write.
*/
uint8_t *get() { return m_buf; }

so my functions becomes like this:

send :erpc_status_t send(MessageBuffer *message) { write(fd, message->get, message->getUsed())}; 

Thank you

chandini

Hi Chandini, yes that is correct. I was outside of company, so i didn't know exact names for functions. Is it working for you?

HI Dusan ,

As i was busy in some other task , Yesterday i could not try anything . today i will try and let you know .

I think i have to change my functions little bit and need to try . because till now i was passing just char* to my send and receive functions.

Come back to you soon.:smileyhappy:

Thank you

Chandini

Hi dusancervenka-b51352 , b50844 , novakma7  

Finally got it working , now demo working fine with my c++ code in Linux .

Thanks a lot guys for answering all my questions.:smileyhappy:

Special thanks to Dusan :smileyhappy:

Thank you

Chandini

Hi Chandini. We are glad you have succeeded. If i can have one special proposal for you, could you send pull request on develop branch on eRPC github with your newly created transport layer (on develop branch). Maybe there will be some work to get it working with newer eRPC. But if you not want updated it i can do that :smileywink: With pull request on github you will be valuable contributor always seen in contributor's history.

I hope eRPC will be good solution for you. And we are always here/ or on github for you :smileywink:

Hi Dusan ,

Sure , i will talk to my seniors and create pull request  . currently i am on holiday .Sorry for the late replay.

Thank you

Chandini

Hi Dusan ,

Very sorry for late response , i was on long holiday . came back now . spoke with my everyone here .  could you please send me your email id so that we will forward stuff for you . according to our company we cant put anything directly to your github .

Thank you

Chandini 

Hi Chandini,

It is ok. I was on long holiday too. I hope you enjoyed it well. 

I sent you email through community messaging system (private message).
We can discuss details through emails. Basically you ned create fork on github, checkout to develop branch, apply your changes, create commit, create pull request. We will review your changes, suggest changes and merge to develop branch.

Hi dusancervenka-b51352,

I am considering using the erpc framework for a new product i am working on, that uses multiple nxp kinetis devices. I see that last updates to erpc github were made 6 months ago. My question is, is it still being maintained/fixed/developed? I tried the example from github:

erpcgen.exe smac.erpc

And it failed to generate the cpp source code with an error.

The erpcgen executable is from the SDK for MCUXpresso.

Thanks,

Evgeny

Hi evgenyerlihman‌,

Actually we are doing updates more frequently. You need switch to develop branch. GitHub - EmbeddedRPC/erpc at develop. Last code update was yesterday. But you need build erpcgen application there. With that smac IDL should works. 

Hey dusancervenka-b51352,

Thank you for the quick reply! I cloned the dev branch. I see that the erpc_c directory structure is way different than the example provided with the Kinetis SDK. Which one is preferable?

Thanks,

Evgeny

Hi evgenyerlihman‌,

Prefered code is always on github on develop branch. Once this code will meet our requirements for new release we will merge it into master branch and we will provide also binaries of application. These updates on develop branch are more often than releases of Kinetis SDK. If some existing eRPC transport will not met version with transport used in Kinetis SDK you can compare old eRPC transport with newer one, or look on file changes in git repository.

Hey Dusan,

When i use the erpcgen.exe that i built, i get the same error on the smac.erpc example:

error: file smac.erpc:135:5: syntax error, unexpected identifier, expecting '}'

The directory structure that i was referring to is the erpc_c from the repository and:

pastedImage_3.png

From the SDK example. Which directory structure is the "right" one? Would it be safe to use the newly generated files (by me) with the SDK example code?

Thanks,

Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

first of all: Are you using smac.erpc from develop branch (and app built from that branch)? For me is this version working. 

Right now version of erpcgen app and rest of eRPC code is connected. That means if you want use newer erpcgen app you built from github, you should and have to copy github erpc_c/* files from github into your example. After than you can regenerate code with newer erpcgen app, update application (erpc init + transport) functions and everything else should work. Otherwise if you will not update erpc_c files you have to use provided erpcgen app.

Look at the bottom of this page: Getting Started · EmbeddedRPC/erpc Wiki · GitHub  Should be pretty up to date for newer erpcgen version.

I am not sure but on newest commit spi could get changed so you can use older implementation instead.

Hi Dusan,

I see that the erpc uses a lot of dynamic memory allocation at run-time. Is there a plan to make it more embedded friendly and add a static memory allocation scheme?

EDIT:

I am sorry for the first question, i do see the erpc_setup_mbf_static.cpp in the repository. The thing is that i am basing  my code on the examples provided in the MCUXpresso SDK - frdmk66f_multiprocessor_examples_erpc_server_matrix_multiply_spi & frdmk66f_multiprocessor_examples_erpc_client_matrix_multiply_spi. Which have a very different directories structure from the code in the repository. 

So my question is, again, should the SDK examples directories structure should be used or the repositories? ANd why are they so different?

Thanks,

Evgeny 

Hi Evgeny, this looks like MCUExpresso project files/IDE issue. Top layer of folder names should be virtual directories, which will be not presented there in future. In your package on your disk should eRPC have similar directory structure as on github. Github directory structure is preferred. 

Hi Dusan,

Are there plans to add more static memory allocation to additional parts, such as generated equivalents of erpcMatrixMultiply_shim? Where every input argument gets dynamically allocated before filling it up with data from the codec and then freed after the function invocation?

Something like passing pre-allocated memory (statically by user app) to the framework?

Thanks,

Evgeny

Hi Evgeny, currently we have no estimation for that. But i think you can write/use your own allocator by writing your own implementation of erpc_malloc/erpc_free functions.

Hi

Can eRPC communication be protected using some cryptographic transport (e.g. TLS)?

Regards

Vakul

Hi Vakul,

sorry i miss your comment. Currently we don't have any cryptographic transport supported. But because of eRPC is modular, i think you can easily add this feature to your eRPC project.

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎07-14-2023 05:31 AM
Updated by: