cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bug] "MCU settings" in project properties not saved

dariuskellerman
Contributor III

Hello,

I have noticed a few bugs in the IDE, but I couldn't find any place to report it, so I'm reporting it here.

1. Change memory settings in "MCU Settings".
2. Press "Apply".
3. Press "Apply and close".
4. Check .cproject file. The new settings are not being persisted.

If you skip step 2, the new settings are correctly being written to the .cproject file.

There is no way to trigger MCUXpresso to save the new settings now and they will be lost after a restart or open/close of the project.

This is valid for at least MCUXpresso 10.2.0, and 10.1.1.

15 Replies

mikamaunumaa
Contributor II

I have installed MCUXpresso 10.2.0 and after that I removed 10.1.1. Now all my projects complains that project properties cannot be changed. I imported some kw41 connectivity sw example project and while I was browsing the code I realized that there were no MCU selected (???). I went to project properties of that project to change the MCU but it was broken. In fact every other projects had that symptom also.MCUXpressoFailure.PNG

MCUXpressoFailure2.PNG

The other project has Project Settings OK and it builds, but I am not able to change MCU settings. Maybe reverse installation and VCS restore version might help.

BTW, I looked .cproject-file and looked like this:

MCUXpressoFailure3.PNG

Not sure if that is right but it makes you think. The XML export looks like that only in TargetConfig section which might be "MCU settings". In addition that "xml version..." is not where it should be...

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Mika,

Have you install SDK package into "Installed SDKs" of MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 ?

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

mikamaunumaa
Contributor II

Yes, I have. However, those are only available for Kinetis MCUs (some others too). I am using both LPC and Kinetis. I think I have SDK 2.2 for KW41/31Z MCUs. I have abandoned the old WORKSPACE and created a new one. When I dropped my project from version control everything works fine. Something went wrong after update and MCUXpresso asked if it can convert old workspace format to new format (or something similar).

In my case the problem was WORKSPACE corruption, which I was able to fix by creating new workspace and droping my project from VCS. Not sure if this is the solution for the orginal question.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I suspect that you might be encountering a quirk with the Eclipse table editing method used in the Memory Configuration Editor. As per the "Tip" in section 16.8.1, "Editing a Memory Configuration" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 User Guide ...

once a change has been made, ensure a mouse click is made outside any changed cell, this action will force the change to be recognised by Eclipse

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

dariuskellerman
Contributor III

Hi,

interesting to hear that it works for both of you. I can reproduce it with every project I have in my workspace. I'm on Windows 7 (but I doubt that makes a difference) and "Managed linker script" is enabled, but the Linker scripts are generated just fine. The problem is only that the settings are lost when Eclipse reloads them from the .cproject.

I will test this in a fresh workspace and report back.

0 Kudos

luca_securo
Contributor III

Hi I have the same problem of Darius.

I just uploaded MCUXpresso to the new version v10.2.1_795.

I modified the MCU settings, adding FLASH, RAM, clicking outside the modified cells, click Generate and OK.

Then "Apply" and "Apply and Close".

I closed and opened my project and I lost all MCU settings.

Why?

Thanks

Luca

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luca,

I cannot reproduce this on my side (Windows 10). Maybe can you tell more what you mean with 'clicking outside the modified cells'?

Or can you post screenshots so I can see what might be different on your side?

Thanks,

Erich

0 Kudos

luca_securo
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

I have Windows 10 too.

Maybe can you tell more what you mean with 'clicking outside the modified cells'?

I meant that I did what was writen in section 16.8.1, "Editing a Memory Configuration" of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.2 User Guide ...

"once a change has been made, ensure a mouse click is made outside any changed cell, this action will force the change to be recognised by Eclipse"

See these screenshots, I hope it helps.

Note that I do this becouse I'm working about Erase/Write/Read data in flash memory passing throught the Ram memory.

Thanks 

Luca

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luca,

ok, I see: that click-outside is simply if you modified a cell, then you have to exit that cell to take the value.

I tried again to reproduce things on my side, and that extra Flash and Ram sections I have added are still visible and stored.

What is the purpose of your seconde (linker page) screenshot? To show that you have managed linker scripts enabled?

Just another thought: you have your project on a normal drive on your machine, right? I have seen reports about problems if that project is say on a driver/location shared with DropBox or similar.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

luca_securo
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the quick answer!

Did you try to close and open your project too?

What is the purpose of your seconde (linker page) screenshot? To show that you have managed linker scripts enabled?

Exactly.

If I close and open my project the linker settings still stored but the table of MCU setting return to default...It's strange.

For now I continue to develop my software reminding myself never to close my project.

PS: My project is in my own machine.

Thanks

Luca

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luca,

now I'm able to reproduce it. I'll report it to the development team.

Thanks!

Erich

PS: I was only able to reproduce this with 'Extra linker script input sections' added to the managed linker scipt settings.

jacob_caughfiel
Contributor I

Hi, 

I'd like to add that I've been able to reproduce this issue while running mcuXpresso headless. It's the same behavior where the memory configuration settings are "reset" to default. I am using "extra linker script input sections."

The bad behavior only occurs once in every five or ten builds, but the memory settings need to be reconfigured any time it fails. 

This is the command I'm running: 

mcuxpressoidec.exe -nosplash --launcher.suppressErrors  -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data "C:\Workspace" -build project/Debug

As a temporary fix, I'm going try editing the default memory configuration for my MCU. 

Best, 

Jacob

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jacob,

what version of the IDE are you using? I believe there has been a fix added to 10.3.0 so if you are not on that version, it would be worth to give it a try.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Darius Kellermann,

Have you enable "Manage linker script", if not, please enable it .

And also you can check the memory linker file (.ld ) , whether the memory changed .

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Darius,

I'm not able to reproduce this, it works properly for me with pressing Apply and/or Apply&Close (at least under Windows 10).

I changed the value marked in yellow below, and it has been stored to the project files properly.

pastedImage_1.png

Maybe you could provide more details?

Thanks,

Erich

0 Kudos