debug console non blocking configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debug console non blocking configuration

gkosteva
Contributor III

Using MCUXpresso. I have the debug console working with the shell application. This uses getchar which is a blocking function. I want to convert the console to non-blocking. I added the project setting  "DEBUG_CONSOLE_TRANSFER_NON_BLOCKING" to my project. I call   "DbgConsole_Init(BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BASEADDR, BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BAUDRATE, BOARD_DEBUG_UART_TYPE, uartClkSrcFreq)"   and I am now calling the non-blocking function: IO_TryReceiveCharacter().  This function never returns any characters because  UART_TransferGetRxRingBufferLength() never returns a size greater than zero.  DbgConsole_Init calls UART_TransferCreateHandle() which sets UART_TransferHandleIRQ() but I do not get this interrupt which would place data in the ring buffer. Am I missing a initialization somewhere?  Is there example code for a non-blocking console? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Glenn Kosteva 

The TryGetchar API will go and check to verify if there is a new data and continue (in non blocking way), if it exists data, it will be saved. One way to use it could be

while (1)
    {
        //ch = GETCHAR();
       DbgConsole_TryGetchar(&ch);

if(ch)
        {
         PUTCHAR(ch);
         ch=0;
        }

}

You can use the GETCHAR function which in low-level driver uses nonblocking functions. Another option could be implementing the UART nonblocking transfer.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos